Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Idle Air Control Valve

I gave the AAV (or IAC) 12 volts and it does nothing. No click, buzz, humm or movement. Appears cleaned, just seems like the motor isn't working. I tried one spare that I had and it did the same thing - nothing.

Am I expecting the wrong thing or are both of these shot? The one on the car sat for years, the other also sat for years (JDM engine).

If I get another one - are the MPFI spider manifold valves different from all the others? I know they're located in a different position but didnt know if the actual part is different?

The ea82 iac doesn't have a motor in it like modern iacs. It is just a bimetal thing that opens a valve that provides air passthrough. When voltage is applied to it, it turns on a heater coil that causes the valve to close if the water temp doesn't heat it enough to close it in time ..so no noise..

HTH

Kaz

Hey Gary, I just took a spare iac apart and noticed under the elec part that looks like a motor is a spring loaded plunger that controls the amount of airflow. I don't see why you can't start it up like that and push the plunger in to see if the engine will speed up.

Edit: I just realized you are working on mpfi. I had it in my head it was spfi. I have no idea if the iac are similar.

what? really?? that's bizarre. i noticed the spring loaded action of the disc inside that interrupts air flow, is that what you're talking about?

it needs to be installed with hoses on each side, so how could i manually "open" that plunger with hoses on both ends?

what? really?? that's bizarre. i noticed the spring loaded action of the disc inside that interrupts air flow, is that what you're talking about?

it needs to be installed with hoses on each side, so how could i manually "open" that plunger with hoses on both ends?

The top part (with the connector) will pop off at the seam; use a razor blade in the seam to coax it off. It is adjustable, two screws and the heater part is slotted. In this way it is easy to adjust the fast idle speed. The cover will snap back on but a bit of super glue will keep it together.

If you leave it hooked up to power it will slowly open up.

Ha, I was editing my post the same time you replied. I thought we were talking about spfi. Nevermind! :)

• 5 years later...