Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ticking Transmission in 2008 Outback?

First Post, glad to be here.

I have a 2008 Outback, bought new. Since it was new the transmission makes a ticking noise, when in motion, which is especially noticeable when the noise reflects off something i.e. an underpass, wall, building, car, etc... I took it into the dealership soon after purchase and they printed on the invoice that they reproduced the noise and that it needed further diagnosis. So I took it back in last week, its in now. On Friday, the service guy said it needed to be approved by a manager for repair, and then today, the service guy all of a sudden says that it was a miscommunication and that the noise is normal.

Have any owners out there observed/experienced anything like this?

I previously owned a 1998 outback, so I realize that Subarus sometimes have particulars... like the ticking my 98 made when the engine was cold... any help is appreciated.

i'd want them to diagnose it a bit better than that and find out exactly what is causing it. is it the transmission for sure? what part?

the "ticking" in your old 98 outback was probably piston slap and, while annoying, isn't particularly harmful. but if this isn't piston slap, i wouldn't assume it's no big deal.

i'd ask to drive another one on the lot and see if it makes the noise. if not i'd want a reasonable answer and documentation.

how far from loosing the warranty are yoU?