Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

98 O/B most likely dead

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chip

Chip

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Canada

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:18 AM

My 98 O/B's timing belt jumped out of whack this week. Had it towed to the garage...they lined everything up and put the belt back on and it started up but........it makes a high pitched screaching sound,(from the cylinder head). They seem to thing one of the Camshaft bearings is killing itself.

That's most likely what made the timing belt skip....one cam was almost seized and everything else was turning so the belt probably jumped a few teeth on the camshaft pulley.

I'm thinking it would cost somewhere around $1200 to get it fixed ,assuming there's only the Camshaft and bearing to fix.

I've got over 325K kms on it and the body is starting to rust in the usual places so I'll probably send it to the scrap yard.......too bad, everything else works on it.:-\

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,889 posts
  • WV

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:22 AM

that's an interference motor too so if the belt skipped enough teeth or broke the pistons will hit the valves. this can result in a bent valve or worse...so yeah this is going to be an expensive fix if you're paying someone to do it.

you could also entertain the idea of buying a used EJ22 and installing it. i can pick those up from a yard, with warranty for $150. you could probably sell your old EJ25 for that - scrap or someone may want it for parts since they tend to have lots of issues anyway. so for a few hundred, or a couple months of another car payment, for installation you could get a nice EJ22 with all new timing belts and a couple more years out of your wagon.

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:11 AM

I think you are wise in letting this one go. Use the repair money for a down payment on something newer and with less mileage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users