Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Guest tcspeer

Does anyone know how to put dust boots on brake caliper of 97 Subaru Legacy. I thought I would try to rebuild instead of exchange, ( not a good ideal) if I put it on piston first I could not get it in the sleeve, and if I put it in sleeve first I could not get it on piston.

Guest Tolerance02

In the sleeve first. But that sleeve must be really clean. It must be scraped out whit a sharp pin to make sure there is no rust or dirt left in. This cleaning takes some time, be patient. I always use a coil spring, straight out on one side and make a small hook at the end. Once the boot is well in the sleeve putt some break fluid or special grease inside and on the piston. Pull the open boot end over the piston en push the piston down to the cylinder while turning slowly back and forth.

Urban.

Guest tcspeer

My brakes stay so hot runnig on mail route that the boot's never last long before they deterate, and I have not had any real problem, with the boot's being bad just how critual are they?

Guest Legacy777

The boots are a pain to get back in. I don't remember how I went about it on the WRX calipers I rebuilt, but they weren't the easiest to do.