Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lift install ??'s

The Scooby

ok on the front (86 ea82 with 2inch SJR going in) what is the easiest way to get the blocks in above the strut?

A: disconnect the swaybar and wrestle it in

B: remove strut and bolt her in but how to get back into knuckle

C: cuttin torch? (just kidding)

i got the rear in in about 20 minutes by myself. have to sort out a few things like the diff drop the 19mm bolts are ether too short or too long as well as i am going to have to enlargen the wholes. i think i might just get some longer bolts and just run those instead of trying to run 2 pairs of hardware.

thanks and for a faster responce hell give me a call at 206-245-9292

Thanks,

Shean

ok scratch that, got the tops in, spot welded the bolts so they wouldn't spin on me on the strut extension.

now i cranked my suspension to the lowest setting and still cant get the strut back into the knuckle. i can get it over the whole but the control arm wont drop enough to slip it in. i already removed the sway bar.

any ideas before i pull the LCA from the subframe and get it that way.

thanks one eye, that worked. didn't even think about that.

got everything in and had to ajust my front suspension down because the tires were WAY positive cambered.

my only thing now is the front end is REALLY bouncy and i only have it cranked up about 1inch. its like i lost suspension travel. is that normal for the front to get so stiff after the lift blocks?

If I don't make it down today, feel free to drop by after work. I'll poke thru it with you. MAAAAAAAAYyyybe, you put the blocks in backwards in the front. Did you beat the walls back to clear the blocks? That would limit movement as well as make noises.

Have you driven the car?

Normally after you lift it, you need to drive it around a bit to get the suspension to settle out.

I would almost bet you don't have anymore positive camber than before, you are just able to notice it more.

Also... you did drop the crossmember too, right??

no its a 2inch lift from SJR, when i put the wheels back on after finishing the fronts where so bad the inside of the tire wasn't touching the ground. drove around the block and then it was fine.

i lowered the suspension on the front a little and its not crazy cambered now but its still REALLY stiff.

eric toss me your phone number so i can call before i head over to make sure i dont wake you up again.

also i didn't have to pound the inner fneders maybe i did put the lift blocks on the wrong sides (swaped driver w/ passenger dunno?)

thanks again eric, well i took my wagon over to cap's place after work, ended up i swaped the driver and passenger front strut plates. so tomarrow ill have to stay after work and take it all back apart. ill have to make sure i remember to bring my welder so i can weld the bolts to the top of the plate so i dont have to try to hold the freakin things with a wrench.

ya scott go ahead, i would be honored.

jeff im gonna try but thats a long drive up to mount vernon for me the weekend after the show, i might not be able to aford it. ill let you know for sure, i would LOVE to go but i need to watch my funds after the show.

ive never seen that picture before, does look very close. i still have to finish my front bumper (extend the top bar to cover the corners of the fenders) and make the brackets for the rear bumper. as well try to get my car to run right, it cant push itself up a hill on the highway in 5th, im usually downshifting to 3rd or 4th to make them. its got no power at all right now.

dont give me that , its a Subaru not a Tank , you can afford it if you realy wanted to Ive driven farther for a outing then that

In his defense, he's just purchased an imp, lifted his car and is trying to put away $ to buy an ej adapter kit for his imp. And he has a wife he's gotta get a long with at the same time. :-p :clap:

Just run it in low range, you'll never have to shift the whole way up. I got mine like that from Scott, at first i was a little dissapointed, but now that I have the 30's on it, it runs down the road perfect.2800-3000rpm @42mph, that is freeway speed, it is really about 60-64mph. I love it. And not only that I'm ready to start wheelin at the drop of a hat.:lol::banana::headbang: :-p

Jeff