Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Quick Head gasket question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RedLance

RedLance

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Crete, NE

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:22 AM

I haven't come accross this in any of my reading...

My FSM says, after you install new head gaskets, you need to start the engine, let it warm up fully, then shut it down, let it cool, and re-torque the head bolts.

The packaging from the new (Fel-Pro) head gaskets says they never need to be re-torqued.

Do I really need to do this re-torque procedure? It's really a pain in the a$$. I've done it once already, and had to tear the engine down again.

Thanks!
RedLance

#2 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:41 AM

Huh? Aren't all the head bolts accessible once the cam covers are off??

#3 Flow

Flow

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Roy

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:46 AM

http://usmb.ultimate...ad and retorque

I'm not a fan of tearing it all apart again either.

#4 RedLance

RedLance

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Crete, NE

Posted 06 January 2004 - 05:23 AM

Setright: They are, but not easily at all. I ended up using a 3/8 drive socket, with a built in u-joint , an extension, then another u-joint, and another extension, and I still had to loosen the engine mounts, and jack it up, to clear the frame rail.

Plus, a couple of them are partially covered by the cam shaft supports, so you can't use a regular socket.

This is all on an EA82...EJ22's might be different.

Thanks again!
RedLance

#5 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 4,045 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 06 January 2004 - 05:56 AM

I've done many HG on many different vehicles. If the Gasket Maker says not to re-torque, I don't. No one has returned their car, or complained of faulty workmanship.

When I did the HGs on my EA-82 engine, stated right on the gaskets, "Do not re-torque". So I didn't.

#6 XSNRG

XSNRG

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,657 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 06 January 2004 - 11:08 AM

I've done EA82 head gaskets without re-torquing with no problems. It's important that everything is clean, including the threads on the head bolts. The a drop of oil on the threads and on the washer before you torque. I've used the copper gasket sealant with good results, it's suposed to allow the head and gasket a minute amount of movement for thermal action. Check the head surface to be sure it's flat, I think they allow 15 thou. I purchased a CCR engine and they didn't reccomend re-torqueing, not sure what they do to the gaskets/heads.

#7 Petersubaru

Petersubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  • Sarnia Canada

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:28 PM

no re- torqueing neccessary with the new fel-pro gaskets,,,make sure every thing is clean and the torque wrench is accurate...3 0r 4 lbs.of extra torque wouldn't hurt either

#8 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:44 PM

XSNRG: I haven't looked up any torquing procedures in the FSM yet, but about the oil on the threads. Unless is specifically calls for oil on the threads, DON'T put oil there when you are torquing bolts. It will result in an incorrect torque spec because it is easier to turn the bolt, so it will be tighter than w/o oil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users