Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Legacy Transmission Problem

I'd like to get some opinions and information regarding a problem I'm having with my Legacy's transmission. Automatic transmission fluid has been leaking into the front differential. I did miss a transmission fluid changed, which I was told could have contributed to the problem (as old transmission fluid tends to eat away at the seals). So, my mechanic suggested that we first try to reseal the front differential, which I decided to have him do. This didn't stop the problem, as transmission fluid continued to leak into the differential. This was repeated one month later under warranty, with the same results. He now thinks there might be a crack in the transmission housing that is causing the problem and thinks the installation of a remanufactured transmission is the best solution. Does anybody have any ideas or opinions as to what could be causing this problem? Is installing a Subaru remanufactured transmission the best solution?

The problem began immediately after I had both C/V axles replaced (by another mechanic at another shop). I suspect it is just a coincidence.

Thanks in advance ....

The front seal on the tranny is leaking into the transaxle. I just went thru this before Thanksgiving. I didnt notice mine until the transaxle overfilled and started coming out the little vent tube on top of tranny. Just drain the transaxle fluid (80%ATF) when it is at the top of the dipstick-replace with 90wt. good for a week or so until you can find a replacement. I did this for a month or so with no problem-make sure the tranny is full. Walmart has good prices on 90wt. and ATF (gallons). Good luck Dave.