Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys,

I purchased a used '97 outback, and I'm not sure the 60,000 mi. tune-up was done. It's got about 75,000 mi on it. Can you tell me what I should expect to pay for the 60,000 tune up? Is there anything I should be aware of? The car has platnum spark plugs, so I know those will be extra. Anything else?

Thanks,

Robert

Here’s a rough DIY price. You probably don’t need a water pump or engine seals yet:

Belts $20

Timing belt $60

Oil $10

Oil filter $6

Coolant $7

Air filter $8

Fuel filter $20

Spark plugs $16

Brake fluid $2

½ trans fluid change $8

Total: $158

Dealers may charge slightly more for parts or to perform this service.

I'm sure there's no end to additional stuff but I think you should consider a thermostat and radiator cap. Possibly run a bottle of Techron through a tank too if you don't already have it in a yearly or semi-annual schedule.

And do a throrough inspection that would include brake pads and wipers(especially if it's the wet season where you live).

fyi

You might also want to consider getting the gear oil changed in the front and rear diffs, and maybe throwing in a new PCV valve. Flushing the brake fluid completely might also be something to think about, since it accumulates water and other crud over time.

I've been reading through some of the info here, seems to have some pretty good stuff:

http://endwrench.com/archive/sysgen.html

Hopefully you'll get a better price out there, the crooks around here want $400 for the 30k/60k mi services..

Not that I don't agree with preventative maintenance, I most certainly do, but, if you expect to take your car to a shop for a tune up, the 20$$ timing belt won't mean crap when they charge you 300$$ to put it in, much less flushing fluids out of your diff's. Change the plugs, wires, air/oil/fuel filters, pcv valves yourself should you desire. If you have the knowledge, definately drain your tranny/diffs, replace that fluid too. The timing belt is a pretty big job. Re; the brake lines, thermostat: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.