Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Outback rear diff question

I'm getting ready to replace the rear brakes on my 97 Outback. I jacked it up and gave the wheel a spin, the other side did NOT move. I went to the other side gave it a spin, again no movement on the opposite side, shouldn't the opposite wheel spin; the same way with an LSD and the opposite direction with an open diff:confused: :confused: :confused: This is an automatic and it was in park for the spins.

Thanks, Tim

I'm getting ready to replace the rear brakes on my 97 Outback. I jacked it up and gave the wheel a spin, the other side did NOT move. I went to the other side gave it a spin, again no movement on the opposite side, shouldn't the opposite wheel spin; the same way with an LSD and the opposite direction with an open diff:confused: :confused: :confused: This is an automatic and it was in park for the spins.

Thanks, Tim

I've had other diffs do that, if there was a bit of drag, either from the brakes, or other wear items....

do you have the LSD in the rear of that?

I've had other diffs do that, if there was a bit of drag, either from the brakes, or other wear items....

do you have the LSD in the rear of that?

There was drag on the one side, but the other side was free.

That's what I was checking for, it has the winter package so I was hopeing it would. Not sure how else I should check it. Strang. Later, Tim

There was drag on the one side, but the other side was free.

That's what I was checking for, it has the winter package so I was hopeing it would. Not sure how else I should check it. Strang. Later, Tim

those were viscous LSDs in the outbacks, so it would appear as an open.... you know the drill.....

Thanks Nipper, I've just never seen a rear end not turn the other wheel so I was a little concerned. Tim

To really see whats happening you need to have a diff opened up to understand it, its hard to visualize when its locked up in a peice of metal :)

nipper

With the automatic in park and the engine off, is is still possible/likely that the rear driveshaft will spin (no direct physcial connection to the parking pawl, just whatever drag exists in the transfer clutch-pack).

Spin a wheel and watch both the other wheel and the driveshaft. Or, hold the driveshaft still and spin a wheel.

hold the driveshaft still and spin a wheel.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. The DS was turning, but it never occuered to me to hold it and then the wheels would turn:rolleyes: . I'm pretty sure the '70s are really starting to catch up with me :lol:

I don't know why I didn't think of that. The DS was turning, but it never occuered to me to hold it and then the wheels would turn:rolleyes: . I'm pretty sure the '70s are really starting to catch up with me :lol:

The 80's tend to be really really foggy to me...

:clap:

The 80's tend to be really really foggy to me...

:clap:

you mean there WERE 80's ? :eek:

on a side note: my dad had heart surgery and somewhere along the way he lost some of his memory. brain still worked, he just could'nt remember some stuff.

when i re-introduced him to my current wife, he asked, what happen to ruth (my first wife). i told him it would have been better if he had forgotten the marriage instead of the divorce. now that would be some good medicine, take a pill and forget your first wife. :banana: