Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alloys - 14" Leone

Hey all,

I have a set of these on my rally car, just got them a month ago. They are ex-factory rims used so I am told by Possum Bourne many years ago. The ones in the pic have the wrong stud pattern, but are th esame as the ones on my car (I don't have a pic of mine). They are Enkei WRC Spirits...14 x 6in. They are awesome!!!

post-337-136027586859_thumb.jpg

where do I start...

engine:

standard block, oversized mains and std big ends, std crank, std head gaskets, forged pistons and special rings, std gen III heads, std injectors, front mount intercooler

turbo:

rebuilt, running 14psi, adjustable boost

exhuast:

matched front pipe with legacy flexi-joint, 3in pipe from the turbo with waste gate pipe, and 2 3/4in straight pipe with one red devil muffler at the rear

cooling:

legacy radiator

gearbox:

leone casing with impreza close ratio gear kit (top speed 180km/hr on the redline) , 12kg viscous centre diff, 4.11 front diff, shortened drive shart and 4.11 impreza rear plate diff

front suspension:

Bilstein adj platform struts, with dyno'd springs (not sure of the rate, adjustable bottom arms and the 2in of castor. Strut brace between the towers

rear suspension

koni adj platform struts

rims:

15 x 13" / 15 x 14"

interior:

2 kevlar Autosport seats, 6 point cage with side intrusion and bracing, klippan 3in 6 point belts, sprco intercom, brantz trip meter.

It goes real well, but have had a problem with the head gasket going twice thisyear, once as a result of overheating, and the other the result of the mechanic that rebuilt the engine not re-tightening the heads...which only lasted 14km of stage distance.

We run pre-92 4WD, which as the name suggests is for 4wd cars build befire Jan 1st 2002. we are up against the legacy's / 323's / Lancers / Galants etc. so it is quite hard to beat them as they have a lot more HP than us, but we can knock a few off usually and get a top twn in the class.

As for bending things, no, it is really strong, but our rallies aren't all that rough, although they do have some rough bits in the them.

The car is a fun car, easy to drive, easy to run and cheap to fix.

If you want to know more, then drop me a line.

cheers

simon

Thats very informative! I wonder if copper head gaskets might help with your overheating problems. Just a thought, but anyway, do you have any more pics of the car, other than what is on the site's season photos? Id also be interested in some video if you can swing it!

PS do you know how many sets of those WRC wheels that japanese company has?

I see in 1 pic. on your'e site that U are towing a car trailer with the race car on it, and U are doing it with an EA82 WAGON!! How hard of a time do U have with that? What type of hitch are U using to do it, and how is it mounted to the car? Ever break/bend any thing with that set up?

I ended up selling the wagon (a car you all would have loved, owned sinced new, done 88,000km) as it used to overheat a bit on the big hills. The Jeep is much better to tow with.

carfreak, sorry, they are as rare as hens teeth, it has taken me 12months to track thse ones down, andmore people here are building rally Leones, so they demand is higher, and they are even harder to find now...like you say..blast, cause they are great looking alloys.

yeah, it towed with no real problem, until you had a big hill, then it would only overheat just at the to (we are tlaking about 6-7km and quite steep). FYI, it was a 3 speed auto, with no overdive.

the hitch was body mounted...and a factory item that came with the car when we bought it.

I wouldn't recommend that weight, and I only towed it with the car for 1.5yrs, so the long tern effects I am not sure...and the car had been owned since new, and done 88k, so the mileage was really low. The car had air suspension, which didn't like the weight too much and blew an airbag.

I bought the box built, so not sure how it is done. As it is runnig the WRX RA close ratio kit, it will make your gearing a lot lower, i.e. top speed is now 180km/hr, whereas with the std gearbox and 3.9 dif I had seen over 200 on some of the longer straights on tarmac rally's, but now I just get o 180km/hr in half the time.

sorry, that was from another place (got myself mixed up a bit), these have the right stud pattern (4x140), you could try emailing them, I have tried but not heard anything back from them.

PCD is the stud pattern if I am correct.

PS, see you have a Merc, if you need Merc parts, then try my sponsors parts. probably cheaper to buy from Nz and ship than from the US