Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Long term care products and procedures

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

I would welcome any/all suggestions for products KNOWN to be good as well as products to AVOID using for maintaining my new '03 OBW for extended ownership.

Products to clean/protect the dash, glass,upholstery and other interior surfaces, cleaning,waxing products for wheels,paint,plastic exterior. Fluids for windshield washer,coolant,etc.

tia

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest 86 subaru

change the oil every 3,000 mi with a good name brand oil and a good filter , run injector cleaner every year buy it from the dealer , , flush radiator every 2 years, balance and rotate tires every 7-9 000 miles, change fuel filter every 30,000 mi , change air filter when it gets dirty, have a tranny flush done at 60,000 mi, and change filters,

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

Is it a given that the dealer will use the proper grade and a good brand of oil if I have service done there? What are the brands of injector cleaner and other substances? What type of interior and exterior cleaning/protectants might work in Texas to help preserve paint/plastic etc? Seems like almost evreryone I know who has used Armour All developed cracks but perhaps they waited too long?

Thanx for replying - didn't consider yearly injector cleaning.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest 86 subaru

well i know it might be a pain , but you might want to get a windshield sun shade for the dash; might use turtle wax on the outside run 87 octine ,

Guest Strakes

Armor-all has a bunch of alcohol in it and it dries out many surfaces over the long run. I use (now don't freak...) Lemon Pledge for the interior surfaces. It does not leave a sticky-glossy film that collects more dust. It's also non-yellowing to clear plastic surfaces. Also, I like to use "Lexol" interior cleaning/conditioning products (I've buy them for sale at Pep Boys). I usually treat the leather surfaces with leather conditioner (made by lexol) and clean all the dash, plastic, fake wood, window sills, door arm rests, and etc. with Pledge.

Guest meep424

completely bleed and refill brakes every 30,000.

replace steering fluid at whenever- it lasts a while-- did it at 70,000 and felt a difference.

rear diff fluid change at 50,000... if you use it much. fluid lasts a while in these so...

keep the undercarriage free of water-soaking mud, mung, goo, gravel...

buy decent filters.

avoid silicone-based anything if it's to be used on rubber or plastic.

keep the hinges greased.

meep

Guest Commuter

303 Aerospace Protectant for vinyl etc instead of Armour-All.

My rule of thumb... Change all fluids every 2 years (not including engine oil obviously). People tend to forget about coolant, auto transmission, differentials, power steering, brake fluid, etc. This may be more often than some items need, but they won't be forgotten if you stick to this simple schedule. If you do a lot of driving, some things might need to be more often.

Personally, I prefer synthetics for these rarely changed items. When you work it out over the long haul, paying (say) $5 or $10 for your differential oil instead of $1 or $2 is nothing.

Want to do something extra? Get some oil filter magnets. :)

Commuter

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

Yeah - here in Texas changing AT fluid is really a must (though it seems a lot of folks don't).

A friend once had a car (maybe a Colt?-don't remebber) and the manual said something like, replace the tranny fluid every 60K except in extreme service conditions. Those condtions included OPERATION ABOVE 90 DEGREES F !!

Shoot - that's about 4 months down here!

OK - no salt (except down on the 3rd coast) BUT the sun and heat are BRUTAL!

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest spagemurray

A bit long but worth it. Change OEM crap gear oil to something like Redline 75W90 for diff, 75W90NS for manual g'box, D4ATF for power steering, not sure for auto, use Auto-Rx maint dose with good quality oil for engine, which doesnt need changing every 3,000 miles (it's an American myth and wasteful), anything but a FRAM Filter, Nitrogen fill for tyres, a good UCL like Lucas or Amsoil PI or Redline SI etc in the gasoline. I agree no Armourall and I learnt that from experience. I get my Outback professionally detailed regularly to keep it 'as new'. Also I found NGK Iridium plugs worth the change. Can't think of anything else right now.