Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Noisy transfer case?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 williamhilow

williamhilow

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Oakland, CA

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:17 PM

Hey dudes!

Got a noisy little 91 Loyale. Runs strong, 120k great mileage etc....
auto tranny makes a real high pitched whining sound. Pretty sure that its not the tranny but the transfer case. Oil is fresh in the transfer case and rear dif. Bad transfer case right? Well then why does the noise go away when I engage 4wd? I mean it goes away completely, like no noise at all. Is there a zirk fitting I need to hit with some grease?

Thanks,

Bill Hilow Member since 1991!
williamhilow@yahoo.com

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,643 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:29 PM

Bill,

I'm goin to move this to the old gen side since the loyale was more of an old gen style car.

#3 Guest_taprackready_*

Guest_taprackready_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:36 PM

Sub's don't have a seperate transfer case like traditional 4x4's. Transaxle has an intergrated transfer case if you can call it that, and if your oil is good in the tranny then all the gears are getting lubed.

Another possiblity is the U-Joint is going out and making a noise.

Bill

#4 samo

samo

Boo.

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • The Emerald City

Posted 06 January 2004 - 05:10 PM

I've kinda wondered about this too. My tranny has always been whiny, although it's not super-loud or anything, just a high-pitched whine that goes up with RPMs. Mine is just as whiny in 4WD, though. Seems to run and shift just fine, though.

#5 tcspeer

tcspeer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • Walnut Springs

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:33 PM

Has the transmission filter been changed? If the filter gets stopped up it can cause the transmission to whine.

#6 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:44 PM

a whine can be caused by a misaligned ring and pinion. The 4wd could be taking the load off the front diff, causing the noise to stop.

#7 Ozsubie

Ozsubie

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Adelaide

Posted 06 January 2004 - 09:49 PM

I had a very strange one with my Auto EA82 in that if you screwed the speedo cable down tight onto the attachment at the gearbox you'd get quite a noticeable whine at certain speeds. The noise would disappear by selecting 4WD. :confused: Leaving the speedo cable attachment slightly loose at the gearbox would get rid of the noise in 2WD mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users