Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my '84 hatch...

scoobyclimbs

Curious to know why you modified the gas pedal. I used stock ea81 pedal and accelerator cable and it seems to work fine. Anything I should know?

here's my modified gas pedal . I took an ea82 pedal and a ea82 throttle cable(SPFI) . The ea81 pedal is very close so I cut the ea82 end off and welded it on the ea81 pedal.

IMG_2024-1.jpg

Curious to know why you modified the gas pedal. I used stock ea81 pedal and accelerator cable and it seems to work fine. Anything I should know?

Keep in mind I have a 4" body lift so the stock ea81 cable was just too short. Also the eyelet for the EJ cable housing was abit big for the ea81 cable(loose fit). The ea82 stuff worked better and less kinking of the cable housing. EA82 parts are easier to find in the junkyards than ea81 so another reason for the swap.

here's my intake setup..

I used a Perrin foam filter (in conjunction with K&N precharger wrap)that just cleared my purge canister. Mind you I'm not building a bogger so getting water up there is not going to be an issue..

IMG_2064.jpg

Also I welded a bracket to support the intake tube.

intakebracket.jpg

I kept the stock location of the Ea81 electrical wiring . I ran a 10ga neg./possitive wire from the battery to a junction block to power all my existing accessories..

IMG_2065.jpg

note the camo sand color for the engine bay ...so I need to finish that as well.

my ps pump looped until I can finda rack..

pspump.jpg

here's my reworked EJ exhaust less the cat. I used a O2 sensor nut from napa to weld in.

ejexhaust.jpg

my Ea82 spfi fuel pump /bracket welded into my beefed pump bracket mount(with bash protection.)

EA82spfifuelpump.jpg

fuelpumpbracket.jpg

Edited by scoobyclimbs

I didnt think of it before, but you might have to upgrade your fuel pump to a MPFI EA82 pump, what year EJ ro you have?

the SPFI pump works fine for most, but Ive seen cases where it cant pump enough fuel for WOT and the engine starves, but that was with EJ25 4-point injectors, not the stock single point injectors of the early EJ22's.

-Bill

I didnt think of it before, but you might have to upgrade your fuel pump to a MPFI EA82 pump, what year EJ ro you have?

the SPFI pump works fine for most, but Ive seen cases where it cant pump enough fuel for WOT and the engine starves, but that was with EJ25 4-point injectors, not the stock single point injectors of the early EJ22's.

-Bill

iT'S A '90 LEGACY eJ22 so no problem..:grin:

nice build.

i probably would have tried to curve your driver's side exhaust a bit where the two come together to get a smoother transition to the rear (instead of the T that you have currently) as you'll be creating alot of turbulence at the junction.

• 2 weeks later...

It runs after abit of careful cut/splicing..a couple hours of studying alldata/haynes manual/numchux write up wiring schematics.

Thx again to cmiller, numbchux(writeup) for their assistance..:grin:

I was so busy working ot/holidays.. time for a test run at sand lake...wahoo:banana:

I'll post up some more pics soon..

I decided to use an ammo can to house the ecu , ign, fuel pump relays.

Given the EA81 doesn't allow much space under the dash. I used a grommet from the legacy to run the wires thru the side of the box. A couple of vent holes on each side for ventilation..(this is not a bogger so water is not an issue..) I open the can and easy access for cel/testing.

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

That worked out great! :)

Ammo cans are good for all sorts of things. Would have given ya one but I'm all out of that size. Between me bolting them in the back of the GL for water/dustproof storage (great for gloves, clean rags, tape, wire, lights and such. That way that stuff is always clean when you need it) and Cynthia using them to carry her CD's for her DJ gigs at the club.

I gotta go pick up some more myself.

With the extra weight on my old struts..my front tires rubbed in tight corning...

So I have new struts(adjustable) to install with front ea81 wagon springs as they are abit stiffer. We will see how it goes....

As well as a new set of radius arm bushings installed.

Right now it's a rocket... and I can break tires loose If I use the skinny pedal too much..:grin:

I stumbled upon a slightly used set of KYB GR-2's with wagon springs....

for $100 for the pair :grin:

There was just abit of surface rust in places...I decided to clean them up in the bead blaster. I painted the struts aircraft flat gray(subes heritage) and the springs flat black.

My first measurement was at the top of my bumper @ 26 1/4" when installed I now have around 28" whoa...1 3/4" suspension lift..:eek:

:banana:

We will see how it works..hopefully my cv's will hold up....otherwise I'll swap out the wagon springs to the hatch springs.

My first measurement was at the top of my bumper @ 26 1/4" when installed I now have around 28" whoa...1 3/4" suspension lift..:eek:

:banana:

We will see how it works..hopefully my cv's will hold up....otherwise I'll swap out the wagon springs to the hatch springs.

I think subaru rear axles like to be at a really "proud" stance.

It is always the axle under compression that hyper extends, so having the axle start really jackd up high means it compresses not so far up into the body. So when it's under compression and delivering power, it will be at a relatively straight or "flat" angle.

Can't wait to wheel with you again. See you tommorow at Sand Lake