Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my '84 hatch...

scoobyclimbs

here's a pics of my new kyb gr-2 struts and wagon front springs..

IMG_2125.jpg

SWEET!! GR2s or an EA82? Nice!! so wagon springs on newer struts with lift blocks, am I reading/remembering this right??

the body to tire clearance looks nice, and I rmember your axles as being horizontal last time, so probly just a touch less than flat with this lifitng so probly just fine (when remembering my rear axles on OB struts and taller tires..not flat)

Anyhoo, good work on this rig dood!! I like the stenciling, nicely in theme with your paint scheme!!

This is a great write up! I've been gather all the needed items for my 3-door coupe project and this has definitely motivated me more and given me more ideas of what I need to do to my coupe. I pick up my EJ22 this week and will soon start on the rebuild of it-if all goes according to plan! :banana:

Keep the updates/mods coming!

After days of searching craigslist I stumbled on a set of 4 wild country 235/75R15 TXR studded /siped mud terrains with 80% tread for $100 :banana:

I about shat myself...so now I have a full matching set of tires...wahoo...!!!

When it's April I'll pull the studs out..

Remember this is a budget wheeler...I cannot dump $600-800 in tires for a $250 car.. I'm still under a grand on this whole project...just lot's of labor..and trips to the junkyards, craigslist finds..

I picked up some large ammo boxes to organize my stuff better.

Also a harbor frieght heater/defroster $12.99 for the back window as the factory one isn't working as well.(I'ts the little yellow thing in the corner.

th_IMG_2176.jpg

Superbowl sunday I got my wat. temp guage working with a 1/4w 270 ohm resistor. Seems pretty close with the ea81 guage. I verified the temp with a raytech temp gun at the radiator inlet.

I couldn't help but go wheeling on such a nice day..had to test out the mudterrains.:grin:

th_IMG_2179.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The easter bunny was busy fabbing a rear bumper for my hatch..:banana:

I just need to weld on some shackle points, add a led lic. plate lamp, a couple of small flush mount (round) red led markers for the corners.

bumper003.jpg

bumper002.jpg

Also a my H6 100amp alternator upgrade was done a few weeks ago here's the link..

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=122076&highlight=100amp

Gorgeous hatch man. I dig your rear mudflaps, the look sturdy as well as cleanly put together with the car.

My hatch may not be as nice as the many you've had ...:grin:

Given I've only got about $1,300 total investment and alot of blood, sweat...Things have just fallen togother at the right time..

It's become my daily driver as fuel prices climb...I'm gettin ' 25-28mpg If I keep off the skinny pedal..:eek:

• 2 months later...

I welded on some new D-rings on the rear bumper, dot tape for visability at night.

hatch007.jpg

I found some power windows and mirrors from an '82 gl coupe also the upper door cards.

hatch001.jpg

I used a mirror switch from a legacy and mounted in the drivers speaker grille.

hatch002.jpg

For the passenger window I used the coupes switch and mounted on the ea82 shift console coin holder.

hatch003.jpg

Finally got around to fabbing/welding in some bumpstop pads/towers on the rear suspension . a dirty shot..:grin:

hatch010.jpg

Edited by scoobyclimbs

My gl went under the knife(die grinder/air saw)...:eek:

I decided to give the hood some vents from a '98 rs hood vents with block off plates. With all that ej heat pent up under.. let her breathe abit...

I also plan to get another set of block of plates for summer use with functional cutouts.

hatchup013.jpg

hatchup014.jpg

Edited by scoobyclimbs

My gl went under the knife(die grinder/air saw)...:eek:

I decided to give the hood some vents from a '98 rs hood vents with block off plates. With all that ej heat pent up under.. let her breathe abit...

I also plan to get another set of block of plates for summer use with functional cutouts.

hatchup013.jpg

hatchup014.jpg

Awesomeness!!

But really, what IS the purpose of those stifling backing plates on these vents and similarly with gen 1 OB hood scoops, and others? :confused:

Dang Greg, who woulda known those vents were that legolike with the contour and angle of that rise? Cool! I've had them sitting in the garage next to eachother and it never occured at all. . . :eek: "Can't see the forest through the trees." Gramma used to say.

The backing plates would be to keep heat in in the winter, snow out, other stuff out. . . The 2.2 and 2.5 cars they came on tend to run pretty cool, no real need to vent any heat.

I see the vents as totally useful on a 4X hatch that's gonna get flogged some while pushing through a big mud hole or up a big rocky climb.

Given the ea81 body has a much smaller engine bay than an impreza or ea82 body. Heat tends to build up with no where to go. Keep in mind I have a stock ea81 radiator...!

Cooling is fine when cruising ...However, on those hi altitude long steep climbs...even the ej is working hard up the steeps to turn those big tires...

The backing plate will help support the hood where I cut out the old supports too. They are essential for mounting and they are contoured to fit the fold in the hood.

Edited by scoobyclimbs

• 4 weeks later...

hood vent pics.. drilled out

badgerlake077.jpg

badgerlake105.jpg

The vents made a significant drop in wat. temp...5 degrees or better at 5,000 plus feet.

I also added some led marker lights drilled/fitted in the rear side marker lens ..they are really bright..

hatch84004.jpg

I finally got around to painting the dash, horn buttopn charcoal grey to match the rest with vinyl paint.

badgerlake078.jpg

badgerlake079.jpg

Alot less glare with flatter darker color...!

I also fitted the remote drivers mirror and Powered window switch in the door panel..

Edited by scoobyclimbs

AS WCSS13 is this weekend I have even more last minute stuff to do..

A quick oil change with full synthetic oil. New O2 sensor..

I went out to the Perrin air show...picked up a few goodies...

Installed a Perrin crank pulley...

A "mini cooper " Alta r56 muffler...Which should give my sube a better sound.. vs my cheepo muffler I put on when I had the ea81 in it.

http://www.brrperformance.com/product.php?prodid=brr-mini-alt-0003

I paid an obscene price for it..$30...and about shat myself ..when I found out the retail...It's black too!

I have to install the drivers side power window regulator and wiring, Plus wiring for the power mirrors.

So much to do.. so little time...:eek:

Edited by scoobyclimbs

I need a resonator....It's tad too loud... .but sounds badass :grin:..

WOT It's scary in first gear...I gained another 10-12hp..tires are squeali'n :eek:

Mind you I still have manual steering...Fighting that torque steer...Whoa...!

It sounds more like a rally car now...and the dual tip and low rumble is just mean...:banana:

single best $30 upgrade yet....wahoo...

Lucky 13(wcss13) this weekend...! :)