Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1996 Outback with the Coveted EJ22/5-Spd drive train. I recently acquired a slight misfire at idle. This seems to smooth out at about 3000 RPM, but still is lacking in power. Doesn't run TERRIBLE, just a slight mis, and missing a little power on the freeway.

My first thought was Crap Gas. So I filled up, and added a bottle of Injector cleaner. After 300 miles, it's still about the same. I have not seen a Check Engine Light. I have pulled the plugs, and they looked okay, gapped at .035, light ash, etc...I cleaned them & put 'em all back in. Plug wires look fine, good contact being made, coil looks okay...

I'm leaning towards dirty injectors, and I'm going to pull & clean them this weekend. Any thoughts/comments/advice?

Thanks!

Tony

What brand gas/what octane and which fuel inj cleaner did you use?

Dragon had the same problem about a week ago, I'd tried all the likely suspects and she was still surging/rumbling/giving me grief at any stoplight. It was suggested I use a bottle of Techron to see if it helped. Was using Chevron Plus, but ran it out to less than a quarter, put in a bottle of Techron and then a full tank of Premium.

Problem's gone, gone before I had an eighth of a tank used. I had already put in a new air filter and checked the hose/flap was clean when the box was off. Put in a tank of Plus yesterday and problem's still gone! Yay!

If you've been using a cheaper brand of gas, or used that ***!$$#!! stuff from STP - the black bottle :dead: - try the Techron. Run out your current tank before you mix them, though, as the combination will probably mess up your fuel filter. I'd also make sure you have a new fuel filter to slap in, as the Techron may loosen enough sludge in your gas tank/line to conk your old one out.

Better out of your engine and into the filter, though!

It was suggested I use a bottle of Techron to see if it helped. Was using Chevron Plus, but ran it out to less than a quarter, put in a bottle of Techron and then a full tank of Premium.

Problem's gone, gone before I had an eighth of a tank used.

Score one for McDave! Nipper still leads 2 to 1 but don't count the new guy out just yet! :headbang:

(you had to be there)

What brand gas/what octane and which fuel inj cleaner did you use?

Dragon had the same problem about a week ago, I'd tried all the likely suspects and she was still surging/rumbling/giving me grief at any stoplight. It was suggested I use a bottle of Techron to see if it helped. Was using Chevron Plus, but ran it out to less than a quarter, put in a bottle of Techron and then a full tank of Premium.

Problem's gone, gone before I had an eighth of a tank used. I had already put in a new air filter and checked the hose/flap was clean when the box was off. Put in a tank of Plus yesterday and problem's still gone! Yay!

If you've been using a cheaper brand of gas, or used that ***!$$#!! stuff from STP - the black bottle :dead: - try the Techron. Run out your current tank before you mix them, though, as the combination will probably mess up your fuel filter. I'd also make sure you have a new fuel filter to slap in, as the Techron may loosen enough sludge in your gas tank/line to conk your old one out.

Better out of your engine and into the filter, though!

Okay! I use BP mid-grade gas, and I used Gum Out injector cleaner. I ran 300 miles, and still about the same. I'll get a new fuel filter, and add a bottle of Techron and see what shakes loose!

Thanks!

Tony

No codes. Hmm.

In the past, I've needed to do things to even out a bad idle. First, check all your vacuum lines. Maybe one's loose, or starting to crack. If it's cracked badly enough, or comes loose all the way, your CEL will come on, but if it's marginal, maybe not.

I presume you swapped out the fuel filter, air filter, maybe put in a new PCV while you were at it? That takes care of three more usual suspects. You mentioned you already cleaned and reinstalled your plugs. NGK? Then you can eliminate that.

Although it's an expense you may not want, how old are your wires? I've had marginal wires which caused problems, but not badly enough to set codes. It wasn't until I replaced a set due to one bad boot (mouse snacked) that an on-again-off-again problem went away for good. They looked good. They weren't. I thanked the mouse.

The last idle/power problem came when I needed a cam pin and didn't know it. Until we got into the engine and spotted the missing pin while doing the timing belt service, we had no clue why Dragon had no power and no power on acceleration. Once she was moving she had power, but from a stop, forget it, she was a slug, although she idled smoothly. Step on the gas and wait... Without the pin she wasn't holding timing. Put the pin in and zoom! Power. (Of course, the new NGKs and PCV/etc. didn't hurt, neither did the rest of the service.)

How long ago did you do your timing belt? Maybe you're off.

Other than these things, I haven't needed to do more, but I hope someone else comes along with other ideas.

magnecor 8.5mm plug wires and ngk plugs helped smooth the idle of my wife's 97 legacy. i plan on removing and cleaning the intake (mostly cuz i want to powdercoat it and i can get it done for the cost of powder), iacv, and egr and replacing the pcv this weekend, too. please be sure to post what fixes it when you find what works for your car!:)

Okay! Thanks for all the posts. I've been busy trying to $ell my house, as I move to Indiana Labor Day weekend. :slobber:

I have run a tank of gas since the Techron treatment, and it seemed to be getting worse. So I'm running another (20 Gallon Size!) bottle through my 16 Gallon tank. Tonight I will replace the the Fuel Filter (again), then replace the wires, then the plugs, checking for an improvement between items.

I had taken the fuel filter off, and blew through it. It seemed to have minimal resistance, so Im guessing it's okay, but after the 2nd can of Techron I'm taking no chances. (And it seems to be running better with the Techron in the fuel...)

Timing belts where changed at 120K, and I'm at 146K now. So after the Big Move I'll change them. It's almost time anyways.

I'll update tomorrow...

Okay, this is almost funny. I went to the SUbaru dealership across the street from where I work, and it's one of those complex's where they sell EVERYTHING! I mean there are Maserati's & Lamborghini's in the mix here. So I get to Service, and ask for Parts, and they send me to the Saturn dealership. So I get to the Saturn dealership, and ask for Parts, and they send me over the river & through the woods. I get to parts, and tell them what I need for a '96 Subaru, and they look at me weird, and tell me Subaru parts are at the other end of the building...Anyways, I get to parts, and they had NOTHING that I needed. But they will have the OEM wires in tomorrow, so I ordered them, and left. I picked up the new New fuel filter, NGK plugs, and even grabbed some new wipers. So I replaced the fuel filter, and it actually runs a bit smoother, but still a little miss at low RPM's. So I start changing the plugs, and all is going well until I pull the wire of the last plug. It came off WAY too easy. I look, and the metal end is still on the plug. SOB!!! So I get it off, replace the plug, JAM the metal end back in, and start the car. It sill shoots a decent spark out the end of the wire, but I'm guessing that is the source of my misfire. The car runs a little better, so I'm guessing the fuel filter had accumulated a bit more "Tank Tartar" build up, and the # 4 plug wire is shot. We'll see tomorrow when I put the new set on. :banghead:

Oh, and the Wipers are MUCH BETTER Too!:headbang: