Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Guest wthramann

Well Summer has finally arrived. I was driving my wife's '96 Legacy Wagon today and thought the air conditioner output felt only cool not cold. Does anyone have a performance chart for the Subaru A/C? You know one of those graphs where if you know the ambient temperature/humidity you can determine what the delivery temperature should be. I might be spoiled by my '88 Accord's R12 output which is in the 30's.

Guest Legacy777

r134a cools just as well as r12.

I did a conversion on my old r12 system and it converts just as well if not better.

You are most likely low on refrigerant/oil.

Guest hocrest

I just recharged the system in my 97 Legacy. When I got the refill kit I also got one of the pressure checkers. I filled it up to just under 44 which is where they recomend to stop. I've left a kitchen thermometer in my vent and and I haven't seen it go below about 43 degrees. Sitting at idle it hovers between 55-60 degrees. For the last week since I did the refill it has been in the 85-95 degree range with moderate humidity.

Is this right? Any possibilities to get it colder.

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

If it noticeably gets warmer at a stop, you may have one or more radiator fans not working. The A/C condenser (whatever) doesn't have any air going through it unless you're moving forward. Could bvesomething else though - just an observation from other vehicles I've had..

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest wthramann

The Honda R12 performance chart shows at an intake temperature 90 degrees, humidity 60%, delivery temperature of 59 degrees at 1500rpm, fresh air, front doors open, in the shade, max fan, no one in the car. So maybe you are getting acceptable performance.