Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Chipped crankshaft pulley...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

20 Years of Ownership. 94-14

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:39 AM

After waiting for NBC to show Phelps getting his 8th gold, I went out to get some food. As I was driving along, the brake, charge and power steering light all came on. The steering got stiff and so I pulled over. Turns out the crankshaft bolt came loose. I wasn't able to tighten it with the belts on the pulleys by hand so I took it off and it got chipped when it fell out of my hands onto the ground.

Now it has a nick in it and I am afraid it will cut into the belts when I put it back on. Will it be ok or should I replace it? Where can I get another one?

#2 joostvdw

joostvdw

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • Holland

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:29 AM

I don't think it will be a big problem, just sand it down so there won't be any sharp edges it can catch on.

#3 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 4,044 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:32 AM

It'll be ok for a short time, but I would get another one.

Did the same thing myself basically, knocked mine off the workbench. Used it for quite a while before finding another, no belt damage noted. But that could be an exception instead of the norm...

#4 screwbaru2

screwbaru2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • hope valley

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:26 AM

I've done it also. Just filed / sanded the area smooth used it for years. Don't worry be happy motoring!:grin:

#5 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

+1 on getting a new one as soon as practical, but...

I got a free Datsun pickup 3 years ago. About 2 years ago I finally got around to try and time it, and found that the the section of pulley that the marks were on was gone... along with several other more minor pieces of the pulley. It was nick city. I got a replacement, but life got in the way and I have yet to replace the pulley. I can't see any excessive wear/damage to the belts, and the engine runs smoothly.

Sanding any rough edge should get you through, but I am sure that you could get a replacement pretty cheaply.

#6 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

Ok. I will sand it down and use it for now. I tried looking on the net last night and couldn't even find anyone that sold replacements. Is Subaru the only place those can be had or is the junk yard the only source?

#7 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:04 PM

Lots of wrecking yards around here... but also lots of members that have parts engines. Might want to just start a "Wanted" thread. (Just give the folks time to return from WCSS before expecting a response.)

#8 beataru

beataru

Subarus Catch on fire?!

• Members
  • 1,202 posts
  • Phoenix

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:30 PM

I cipped my friends pulley on his nissan frontier.. just make sure that there are no sharp edges on the belt side and it will be fine. (the chip i made was about 1/4 of an inch)

#9 McDave

McDave

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • Highland Lakes, Texas

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

Rockauto.com has the Genuine Subaru Part # 12305AA001 crank pulleys for $20.79 + shipping.

#10 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:27 PM

Rockauto.com has the Genuine Subaru Part # 12305AA001 crank pulleys for $20.79 + shipping.

I looked at Rock Auto and couldn't find it until you came along. I must be a really lame searcher. It happens as you get older, or maybe just as I get older. Now if only the hearing will go so I don't have to listen to little kids screaming their lungs out when I go out to eat.

Thanks.

#11 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

Does anyone remember if the crankshaft bolt on EA82 is 24 or 22 mm? I should know this, but I am getting old so that is my excuse.

#12 McDave

McDave

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • Highland Lakes, Texas

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

Does anyone remember if the crankshaft bolt on EA82 is 24 or 22 mm? I should know this, but I am getting old so that is my excuse.

22mm, same as the alternator pulley nut.

#13 Bucky92

Bucky92

Drive Fast, Take Chances

• Members
  • 3,664 posts
  • New Milford

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:14 PM

I have one already pulled..if you want to replace.

#14 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:32 PM

I have one already pulled..if you want to replace.

Unfortunately I already went ahead and ordered a replacement from Rock Auto. Thanks for offering though.

#15 Bucky92

Bucky92

Drive Fast, Take Chances

• Members
  • 3,664 posts
  • New Milford

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

Unfortunately I already went ahead and ordered a replacement from Rock Auto. Thanks for offering though.

Its no biggy..its in my pile of parts waiting to get hauled to to the scrapper from /for cars I no longer own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users