Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need extra battery for plow?

it was a 400/400TH small block chevy 4.10 gears sheeeeeesh what gas hog!

it had the auctioned off City service plow (true 8' wide blade)

It was a western plow system too. That motor that ran the hydralic system would eat a battery in no time that was a single battery system.

I bought a RV battery isolator and set up the stock batter to rund the truck and the second battery was well.... seperate.

The local (up there in Michigan, BAttle creek) yard i used to got let me get a bunch of stuff(all electrical system from a dead truck.

Fuse block and a LONG section of wireing loom with it.

Used a 105Amp Alt to the isolator.

The Aux fuse block ran each on its own dedicated curcuit:

a. the radio

b. the CB

c. the aux lights for the plow system

d. the aux reverse lights

f. the electryc control for the plow

G. the electric motor for the hydralic plow movements

HAd a DPDT switch for the headlights (next to the aux fuse panel under the hood and the aux battery for swapping from standard headlights and up to the plow mounted headlights)

that way the 4 head lights wouldn't glare off the backside of the plow.

have some video somewhere and maybe still have a few pictures of it up in michiogan... will be heading up there soonly.... like thios weekend.

First off, you of all people should know better than to beat a precious touring wagon up with a plow.

Regaurdless of what they will say, pushing a plow puts more (read undue) stress on all major drivetrain componets.

I'll step down now while saying "Go with the Monkster's most excellent suggs, he has his beans all in one pod.

The winch that runs the up/down on the plow will tax the entire battery charging system"

Skipout while shaming on you

(tip O' the hat) The undue stress is what made the spring semester at the Junior college [K.C.C.] class so timely... I was taking the auto transmission rebuild class that spring semester ! LOL

and sure enough the trucks 400TH tranny died while plowing a freinds farm driveway........ $40 towing to the schools garage door later.....

Had to leave the plow at his house duh!

Turs out the previous owner of the truck hadn't treated the tranny very well at all and it had significantly over 100K on the tranny and its fluid it seemed.

(shakes head at the fun that was)

Paul,

Any decent battery should work fine. The alt is the biggest issue. As mentioned if you plow you need full heater fan, wipers lights all the time. And window down so your face doesn't bake from the defroster, LOL. My 9' Elect/Hyd plow recently flattened a battery below the point of function(the relay won't function at a certain point) in ten minutes plowing when the alt went down.

thanks Skip....can you supply me with a beater wagon with a lo range 4WD for the winter?That'd help.;)

Hi Brad,thanks for the info.So maybe I should have kept that XT6 alternator I had.

Second battery anyone?

I'm going to drop it off at my friend's business and have them hook it all up.Somethings I'd rather pay for.I'll see what they say too.Thanks everybody.Keep the info coming if there's anything else to consider.

the plow is NOT homemade.I'll get the specs later.It's at another board member's house right now.Maybe he'll stop in and post the mfg. Me,I was too happy to give a poop.Hopefully I'll make some dough in the next couple of months with it.

Sorry Paul, I know things are tight, but swappin the reg and ins on the beater 3 door sounds like a better plan.

I know how much you like that wagon and they are becoming harder to find in that or any condition.

I appologize for my concern, I should have said it differently

No need for apologies mate.As so often it happens,you probably just took what I typed with a twist of 'tude,to which there is not.

Just wondering if you had a wagon in that stable that was capable,cheap,and most of all D/R...but I'll probably stick with plan A for now.Sorry,I'll be gentle with it.

Sure I like the touring wagon but it's just another rusting wagon.I wish I had the extra time and/or money to get it in 100% solid shape.As it is it's a great wagon.Looks really good from the sides.Nothing scary yet.And the underside is not bad either.It'll be off by mid April.

The beater 3door is ideal but I'd need to put another engine in.....hmmm,I'm getting another engine that I know runs great and I personally did the tune up on just months ago......hmmmm....Man,that'll be even more bitchin......hmmmmm.

Gotta be someone else plowing in a 3door right?:-p