Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Outback radio install

Guest FSRBIKER

I see crutchfield lists the harness adapter but no kit to replace the stock system(radio with seperate cd player below it)...does anyone offer a kit? I would like to have a compartment below my Kenwood cd player like I used to when this was in my Xterra and the Crutchfield kit made that simple...any links please?

Guest rcoaster

That's because it isn't necessary. The raido is held in place via a steel "cage" which is mounted into the dash with 6 screws. There are holes on the cage that line up with the holes on the aftermarket radio itself. All you need are the screws from the aftermarket radio, remove the cage, remove the raido from the cage, and then put the aftermarket radio into the cage and secure them with the screws included with the aftermarket radio and then wire it up to the harness and reinstall everything. No filler plates, no special mounting kits, etc.

[edit]

I forgot to add that your stock system had the tape deck with additional CD player underneath, simply get a compartment box either from the dealer or from a junk yard to fill in the gap below your kenwood cd player. It goes in the spot where the CD player goes.

Unfortunately, with the new 2005 Legacy/Outback coming out, we will start to see filler plates for custom radio installs.

-RC!