Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

78 DL Wagon Needs Body Parts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mysooby

mysooby

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Winnipeg

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:27 PM

I have a 1978 DL Wagon that needs some TLC. I am somewhat attached to it and am unable to let it go.
  • where can I get body parts i.e. fenders, etc. There are other rusted pieces but I will start with this for now.
  • CV joints (or can they be rebuilt)
Another question: are there other models/years where the body or mechanical parts are interchangeable i.e. brat/1979 wagons etc

#2 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • Paso Robles, California

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:06 PM

77 to 79 wagons will work and 78-81 Brats will work for parts interchangeability. Here is a link to the axles: http://www.ccrengine.../mwe/index.html He makes a great rebuild. There are other places that you can get the axles at though. The MWE axles are really well built though.

#3 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,719 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

Body parts are a challenge, but they can still be found. Many guys are hoarding them, so begging helps sometimes! LOL. Seriously, check eBay often. Check www.car-part.com Posting on this board helps too.

Mechanical parts are far easier to find and often interchange with MANY other Subis from the early 70s to the early 80s.

Best, Todd

www.vintagesubaru.com

#4 mysooby

mysooby

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Winnipeg

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:28 AM

Body parts are a challenge, but they can still be found. Many guys are hoarding them, so begging helps sometimes! LOL. Seriously, check eBay often. Check www.car-part.com Posting on this board helps too.

Mechanical parts are far easier to find and often interchange with MANY other Subis from the early 70s to the early 80s.

Best, Todd

www.vintagesubaru.com

Thanks Todd, this information is much appreciated. ... This will help in getting my search started.

#5 mysooby

mysooby

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Winnipeg

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:29 AM

77 to 79 wagons will work and 78-81 Brats will work for parts interchangeability. Here is a link to the axles: http://www.ccrengine.../mwe/index.html He makes a great rebuild. There are other places that you can get the axles at though. The MWE axles are really well built though.

Thanks ... this will get me started on my hunt for parts.

#6 mysooby

mysooby

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Winnipeg

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:16 PM

Thanks ... this will get me started on my hunt for parts.

Hi there

Can you confirm - when you said that 78-81 Brat parts are interchangeable, did you also mean "body parts" ... I noticed a Subaru Brat 77 79 fender available on ebay?

#7 Subieguy

Subieguy

Subaru on the brain!

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • Paso Robles, California

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:28 AM

Yes 78-81 Brat body parts are the same for the front clip only. That is the from the doors back it is different. But they all had the same front clip. 78-81 Brat fenders will fit on your 78 wagon. No problem!:)

#8 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,719 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 28 August 2008 - 06:25 AM

All 4 door cars from late 77 thru 1979 will be able to donate doors to your wagon too. The front glass is the same all on ALL 77-81 BRATS, wagons, 4 door and 2 door cars, except the GF hardtop. Rear bumpers will also work from all cars.

Todd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users