Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting ready to seal up and install "new" engine

So I'm on the Parts America site.

Looking at EA81 gaskets.

And they have the "Fel Pro Conversion/Lower Gasket Set" Part # CS8818

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=FEL&MfrPartNumber=CS8818

Like $48.00 or so.

Looks to have all the oil pump, oil pan, water pump, crank seals and a few others. (I already have the valve cover gaskets *gonna try GD's RTV trick*, intake and such)

I recently read on here that Fel Pro no longer makes the set.

Wondering if I should try ordering it. Plus I gotta wait two weeks shipping (unless I want to spend $60 bucks 2nd day) and I want to install it over this week with my clutch so I can go wheeling next weekend. (would have just left the old engine in for now and went today *itchin' to wheel* but I had to special order my clutch)

Anyplace around town (PDX) with good old Soob gasket stock?

The price is good, but I'm way too impatient. (but'll suck it up if it's to good to pass up)

I was not impressed with the Fel-Pro gaskets *other* than the head gaskets themselves. All the rest I would order from the dealership - you'll get them faster.

RTV on the oil pan gasket as well, and I have used carefully applied RTV in lieu of the water pump gasket many times without any troubles.

GD

Alright then.

Dealer it is. Have to give them a call in the morning.

I'll RTV the oil pan too. :)

I've always had pretty good luck with only RTV in some places you would normaly want a gasket in the past as well. Just wanting to do it up good as it's sitting on my stand real easy to work on right now.

Thinking about it, I'll proly just throw my clutch in. And put my "new" engine and 5 speed in at the same time (with another new clutch) as a winter project. Meanwhile I can gather bits and parts in a more relaxed manner. :)

Double checking my list, making a big pile of Subaru guts to install. I hate getting into a project only to be slowed up by a midway parts run/order cause I forgot something.

If you buy a water pump from the dealer they give you a nice gasket for it - it's paper but it has a pressure sensitive glue on it that seals up very nicely and without any mess. I used one on my hatch about 8 months ago and I was impressed with the quality of the OEM stuff.

I can't hardly justify buying aftermarket anymore. The quality just sucks.

GD

I can't hardly justify buying aftermarket anymore. The quality just sucks.

GD

Amen! It's getting worse all the time too. One exception in the aftermarket is Beck Arnley. I've been using their parts on imports for 30 years and they've always been first rate. Otherwise the dealer gets all my Subaru business.

One exception in the aftermarket is Beck Arnley.

In the case of Subaru's specifically, their parts are often just repackaged OEM parts. I have personally opened a Beck-Arnley EA81 engine mount box to find the mount still inside the Subaru OEM plastic bag. Seems to have been an oversight durring the "repackageing" process because the second one in the pair I bought had no such baggie.

So it seems that something is going on in the wholesale world with B/A buying bulk components from SOA or something. At any rate they are good components and are often priced lower than wholesale from the dealer so I can't complain.

GD

Yeah.

I've been "dealering" as much as is affordable. Or if it's a "I only wanna do this once" or critical part.

On stuff I don't mind taking a chance on I'll sometimes go for aftermarket. With the gaskets I figured Fel Pro was good. But I'll get some genuines for it.

hehe in pulling my trans to be ready to pop the clutch in I'm finding all kinds of things to replace. Bad driveshaft joints for one.

Looks like it definitely will be staying the old engine and trans for awhile. Get some use out of my new parts and time to replenish the funds for "The big project". No rush on the swaps anyway just a want ("I want I want I want!" :lol: )more than a need. So I may as well take my time and do it right.

Engine, trans, lift. All in one shot. :headbang:

Yeah.

I've been "dealering" as much as is affordable. Or if it's a "I only wanna do this once" or critical part.

On stuff I don't mind taking a chance on I'll sometimes go for aftermarket. With the gaskets I figured Fel Pro was good. But I'll get some genuines for it.

The Felpro Permatorque head gaskets are great since you don't have to go back and re-torque them.

Hang onto your wallet when you go buy the valve cover gaskets from the dealer. The two gaskets and nine grommets (2 packs of 5) will set you back about $50. :eek:

Hang onto your wallet when you go buy the valve cover gaskets from the dealer. The two gaskets and nine grommets (2 packs of 5) will set you back about $50. :eek:

Not for the EA81. Unlike the EA82's they are cork like the oil pan, and there are only two grommets per side. IIRC the valve cover gaskets are about $6 each.

GD