Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Trouble starting with warm engine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TROGDOR!

TROGDOR!

Pastor of Muppets

• Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Morgantown, WV

Posted 07 January 2004 - 02:19 AM

My 92 Loyale started having some problems starting in the past couple days. When the engine is cold, it cranks right over and starts. When the engine is warm, though, it cranks for about 10 seconds and then slowly sputters to life. Once started it runs fine. I've never had this problem, only have had it the other way around. Any ideas?

#2 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 07 January 2004 - 12:24 PM

It's most likely the temp sensor that the computer uses. Next time you have the problem open your door and try te smell the exhaust. If it smells really rich then the sensor is the problem. What happens it the computer thinks the car is cold so it adds more gas. This sensor is on the passanger's side of the intake manifold towards the back of the engine.

Keith

#3 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 07 January 2004 - 02:31 PM

I agree with Keith on all counts except...
This is an SPFI and if I am not mistaken the FI coolant thermosensor is located on the goose neck.
(I think Keith is refering to a MPFI/Turbo model.)
Another thought is a sticking IAC valve.
If it sticks open - could it lean the mixture to the point of no fire?
As it is just a throttle plate by pass, this theory probably holds as much H20 as a toilet paper roll

#4 RallyKeith

RallyKeith

Got Subaru(s)?

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • Reading, Pa

Posted 08 January 2004 - 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Skip
I agree with Keith on all counts except...
This is an SPFI and if I am not mistaken the FI coolant thermosensor is located on the goose neck.
(I think Keith is refering to a MPFI/Turbo model.)
Another thought is a sticking IAC valve.
If it sticks open - could it lean the mixture to the point of no fire?
As it is just a throttle plate by pass, this theory probably holds as much H20 as a toilet paper roll

You're right skip. I don't know why I was thinking it was an MPFI.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users