Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dropped a valve, where are the retainers/ is the piston OK?

pulled the head today and my 1987.5 MPFI EA82 XT dropped a valve. i've put a couple hundred miles on it like this, not knowing it was the valve.

when i pulled the head today i recovered everything but the tiny retainers are no where to be found. are they just lying in the baffles or bottom of the oil pan? not too worried since they shouldn't get past the oil pick up screen...I hope it's still intact!

is that screen visible from the oil drain plug hole?

if the piston face has marks on it, is that okay? doesn't appear to be anything major, but it does look like the valve contacted the piston. didn't damage the valve at all, just looks like some surface scratches on the piston.

just FYI - i had removed this valve before to inspect the nice sized crack from the head into the exhaust port. so it didn't just drop a valve, obviously i hosed it up when putting it back together.

Gary:

The keepers are in the oil pan.

Oops, you said a dropped valve not the seat. I'd have to see the top of the piston to determine if I wanted to reuse it. If you need a piston just let me know. I have a block just sitting with damage in the cylinders from water sitting in them. The pistons are fine though and I can pull one out for you.

I can't imagine any valve-to-piston contact that didn't noticeably damage the valve (as in "bend the stem") causing anything significant to the piston crown.

I agree that the keepers should be in the pan. Hopefully, between their weight and the height of the pickup screen and the screen being intact you should be OK. If, however, your disty-side t-belt snaps and you find that the oil pump no longer turns, I bet you will find one of the keepers! :rolleyes:

Do you have a magnetic drain plug? If not, you might consider getting a fairly strong flat magnet and sticking it near the low end of your pan.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much.

thanks guys.

since the springs and such weren't in place, i imagine the force exerted on the piston was dinky. guess i'm lucky the valve never ended up in the cylinder. when i pulled the valve cover the valve was easily seen still in place and intact. i don't think it's even bent, if it is it's ever so slightly.

i'll keep an eye out for those keepers and try and see if my screen is still intact on the oil sump.