Ultimate Subaru Message Board

battery question

ok my car wouldn't start this morning and I'm think the battery (as its like a million years old) so heres my question. Are Optima batterys worth the price? I want one but I think I could get away with a regular one just wanted to see what the board thought of them. (man, my post have been long lately)

A lot of people seem to like interstate batteries.... What I do is pick up used interstate's at the JY when I see one - $15 (+$5 core charge) for any battery - no matter what brand it is.... that's just me tho. I can usually tell when the battery is getting low - and I have multiple cars, so at the worst I'll just have to move one from another rig if it were to die unexpectedly...

GD

ok, I went to wal-mart to get a battery first I thought that one was to big but I said f**k it I'll try it. Get to Advance auto take the Alt off and get it checked out and it had bad deode(sp) so I got a new(rebuilt) one. Its a two pully one looks like it came from an EA-82 but it works, I think. so I put that in and go put the battery in and its above the hood level so I'm like f**k, go back it side (adavnce) and ask for a battery. they bring up some that have 410 and 420 and I wanted mor than that, so I ask the guy if I could take the Optima out and try that out he says ya go ahead, put that in and it looks good so I take it back in and buy it put it in. hook every thing back up and its cool but it still does the drop (the volt gauge) when I put the rear defrost on. so I got the Optima and a new Alt and I'm out 150 or so. and hows that for a story.

did you have then test that new alt. because most of them rebuilds are junk your best bet is to get a jy one or have a professional rebuild it i bought a brand new alt. took it to a pro and he pulled it apart and it had a bent bendix he said it wouldn't of lasted more than a week usually you'll go though 5 or 6 before you get a good one because they use the cheapest parts to rebuild them and most rear defoggers do draw alot of amps especially if you have any thing else on with it so don't use it :cool: