Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car is in the Shop Right now...NEED ADVICE

I just got a call from the shop, they quoted me over $2,000 on my 93 Legacy Wagon. I took the thing in there for a 120,000 mile tuneup for $500 and they just blow that out of the water.

They want to do the following things

Front Left Axle Boot Replacement

(they say it's torn and needs to be replaced because this is a safety hazard)

Engine Tuneup

(Whatever the hell that entails)

Full Fluid Change

Rear Brake Pads, and Rotor tuning

Front Brake Pads

Spark Plug Wires

Hood Latch

(it sticks, big deal)

Rip me off for everything they can

I told them I would do the spark plug wires myself, get rid of the hood latch (they wanted over $70 just for the part) and some fuel injector service they wanted $80 bucks for I told them to shove you know where, they now have the quote down to $1,453.

Is there anything else you guys think I should be looking out for?

That's why I finally got rid of my '93 a couple of months ago- replaced the front brakes $300 and temp sensor (to keep it running) another $180, but still needed back brakes and O2 sensor and... at least another $600.

Beginnings of some rust and just wanting a change were also factors.

Maybe it's a sign.

I hate to suggest shortcuts but - depending on how long the boot has been split, you can drive for THOUSANDS of miles before it actually breaks.

I used to put pads on all the time without turning rotors.

I think a combination of DIY and an indie mech is called for here, pribably get the price down to a third.

It really sounds like a large chunk of that $$ is tied up in the vague description of "engine tune up". I would go back and demand a step-by-step list of what the "engine tune up entails, and the price for each item. That oughta get them squirming a little bit :D Personally, I would find another shop. Mostly because that "torn boot = safety hazard" line is complete and utter BS. I don't like it when mechanics lie. Do yourself a favor, and either find another mechanic, or go buy a Haynes manual down at your local autostore, and do it all yourself. It has EVERY little detail you could want for your car. That, and everything you have listed could easily be done inside of a day.

Bottom Line: Get your Scoob the HELL away from that mech!

heck, i'd do your tune-up for the heck of it and you buy parts.. too bad your way up there...

brakes are easy, and you shouldn't need to turn the rotors, unless they are ground down to nothing..

IMO i think they are just tryin to rip ya off.. i'd find another shop to take it to..

I could do everything on there for under 500 bucks and still walk away with money in hand.

There's maybe 200....possibly 300 in parts....that's over estimating.

I agree.....just tell them not to touch it and take it some place else. Doing maintenance on these cars is very easy compared to some.