Ultimate Subaru Message Board

White smoke when cold EA-82

A little history..91 Loyalle 150Kmiles PushButton 4wd.. just changed T-Belts, Oil Pump, H2O Pump(thanx again to the USMB for all the help in that project). Anyway now when I start the car I notice white smoke for about the first 15 min of driving. I think its either Head or gasket..wish I would have known this before all the other work(could have done it while I had it all apart) anyway anybody have any ideas on this. Also I never had/have any problems with overheating. I did read some post about pvc problems on early loyalle's causing white smoke but the link was bad so I couldnt follow up on it. Are my symptoms the same as the PVC problem? I did check for antifreeze smell from the exhaust when it is smokes but I dont notice any..but it my be to faint for me to notice it. Also if it might be a cracked head..would it cause more problems to keep driving it..at least till we get some warmer weather in the NorthEast I dont want to cause me anymore work than I have to when I do repair it. thanx..mike

well all cars will appear to have white smoke billowing out of the tailpipe for 10-15 min or so when they are cold.. especially in the winter.. its only condensation inside the pipe from it heating up in this nasty cold weather..

i would say if its not using any coolant, and not overheating.. drive her and not worry about it.. all of my soobs blow white (steam) out the tailpipe in the winter when the temp is way down there... its normal...

I should have been more clearer..there is more smoke than usual..I owned the car for about 5 years and lately when first started and driving there is a nice size white cloud following me(alot more noticeable then the usual condensation burn up)

IIIIIIIIIIII'm kinda leanin' towards the headgasket idea. If you've had the thing for 5 years, you should have a pretty good handle on what is normal and what isn't. I've had a vehicle that would stop billowing after the first mile or so, but if you let it sit a few days without running, you would find all the coolant in the oil pan.

If you drove it everyday, though, there was no evidence of a problem other than the early morning fogging and a subtle disappearance of coolant every couple of weeks. I agree with sniffing the exhaust and watching for coolant loss/overheating.

You might even try pulling the plugs and having someone do a short engine spin (after it has sat overnight or longer) while you watch and see if any coolant shoots from a plug hole (using proper eye protection, of course). Not seeing any coolant doesn't guarantee you don't have a gasket leak, but if you do see some...:(

Good Luck!

-Louis-

'91 Loyale 4wd 5spd Wagon

Oh the pain... I feel ya. 2 days ago, my 94 loyale decided to start with the white smoke. It goes away after a bit, but the sweet smell of antifreeze lingers. I took the car over to Larry's in Mt. View, Ca. and they said the head gaskets look good, and that the engine most likely has a small crack in it. Gaaa.

Anyone in the Bay area have a good source for cheap rebuilt engines? And anyone want to take on a side project. heh. Else I will be forced to have the garage do the fix, and probably spend a few bucks on the repair. (I am still waiting for an estimate, and it has been 2 days. They are looking for an engine)

Oh well. The old engine did have 142K on it, and it got me to Tahoe several times this season. What can ya do?

-Rob