Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy transmission troubles

The (second) transmission on my 95 Legacy has died (won't go into reverse, R feels just like neutral). I have a place online (one of the JDM places) that has a tranny advertised as a 95-99 AWD automatic Legacy transmission. The code on their transmission is different from mine, and despite many hours of googling, I can't tell if they're compatible or not.

The code on my transmission (not original to the car, see story below) is TZ102ZAAAA-C7.

The code on their transmission is TZ102Z1-AAACC.

Are they compatible? They said, of course, I can return it if it doesn't fit, but I'd still be paying $150 in shipping each way, so I want to make sure.

Based on researching my VIN, I have a 1995 AWD 2nd generation non-raised roof Legacy L wagon. Most research says I have a 2.0 liter engine, but a few pages said it was 2.5, or could be either (it's the "6" code). Apparently I have an EJ25 engine/transmission.

Back story that some may find interesting:

I got my 1995 Legacy used in 2003. Soon after, the tranny died. I was away in grad school at the time, and found what I thought was a good transmission place. They put in a used/rebuilt "good as new" transmission. As I'm driving home from picking up the car after the "new" transmission was put in (30 minutes, on highways), I notice that it's rainy/foggy out. Then I stop at a tollbooth, and billows of smoke blow past me. It's not rain/fog, it's the car!

I get home (3 minutes after the toll booth) and park. When I get out, I can tell the car is really hot because I can hear that crackling sound that metal makes as it cools. I call the place the next day, they tow it, and fix it. Said they hadn't properly sealed the gasket between the transmission housing and the engine block.

Fast forward 4 1/2 years to today. I've put 20k on the "new transmission." A few weeks ago all of a sudden it won't go into reverse. Our mechanic here at home in NJ says the transmission is dead, and fluid smells burned. When I tell him the above story, he says that driving 30 minutes while bleeding transmission fluid could take 100k off the life of a transmission. Anybody have any experience or knowledge in this area? I'm thinking of sending the place that installed the 2nd transmission and didn't seal the gasket the bill for the new transmission, asking them to pay for it.

Thanks for any and all help.

The code on my transmission (not original to the car, see story below) is TZ102ZAAAA-C7.

The code on their transmission is TZ102Z1-AAACC.

i've never seen the trans part number on the jdm trans. it must be unique to japan. it is not on any usdm auto trans as far as i know.

however, it will work in your car as long as it has a 4.11 final drive ratio and comes from the 95 - 98 period.

have you looked here for a trans? you may find one closer and / or cheaper.

www.car-part.com any auto trans will fit from a legacy, 2.2L, 95 - 98. any trans that starts with TZ102Z.... and then has 4 letters like yours above, will work. it really doesn't matter what the 4 letters are.

stay away from any trans with TZ102Z2... and then 3 letters, these will not work. the ones with the second 2 have a different final drive ratio.

good luck.

Thank you!! That helps a great deal.

www.car-part.com any auto trans will fit from a legacy, 2.2L, 95 - 98. any trans that starts with TZ102Z.... and then has 4 letters like yours above, will work. it really doesn't matter what the 4 letters are.

You mention 2.2L--does that mean you can tell my subby is a 2.2? I've been thinking it was a 2.2L, but some VIN interpretations suggested it was a 2.5L. Would that info be anywhere on the car (like on that side panel inside the door?)

Thanks again

if your car is a "1995 MY" you dont have a 2.5 engine. you have a 2.2 engine. post the vin and we can break it down for you so you can see it. does the tranny go into any gear at all?

<<Said they hadn't properly sealed the gasket between the transmission housing and the engine block.>>

theres no gasket there. they were pulling your leg.

<<I'm thinking of sending the place that installed the 2nd transmission and didn't seal the gasket the bill for the new transmission, asking them to pay for it.>>

unless you have a 40,000 mile warranty dont waste your time. go to a different tranny place and get a third opinion.

Could it have been they did not properly seat the torque converter?

Yes don't go back to the same place find an other. And ther shop was correct, you can instantly kill a tranny by running low on fluid. I am surprised it lasted this long.

JDM may have a diferent final drive gear ratio then a US transmission.

Try to stay with one from the USA, they are available, why make life hard for yourself?

nipper

You mention 2.2L--does that mean you can tell my subby is a 2.2?

Thanks again

the 2.5L wasn't sold in the us until 96. the trans number you posted for your car fits in a 95 leg 2.2L wagon or sedan, early 95 i think. in 96 the legacy trans went to a tz102zabaa i think.

the last 2 letters mean:

AA = legacy

BA = outback

CA = GT

but thoses don't really matter, it's the second 2 you have to avoid. ( if you paste your trans number into the search tab / box at the top of the page, you'll find lots to read.)

edit: there is an ID plate on the driver side strut tower close to the fender under the hood near the windshield washer tank. read it from the side of the car. it will tell you both the engine and the trans part numbers and well as color code body style/ trim, etc.....

1995 - is an EJ22 engine

Yes there's no gasket between the trans and engine but i am betting that rather than them lying about it, that something just got lost in time and relaying the information to us. Either you forgot the exact details or they communicated it poorly.

Either way, it doesn't matter, whatever leak was present most certainly caused the demise of this transmission. If it was an ATF leak, that definitely caused your failure.

But of course we dont' know the history of the car, yo'uve only told us a brief snippet. was the fluid level ever checked during that time, have the tires been properly rotated?

And yes - i'd get a used Subaru engine. Do not bother with JDM stuff, it's compeltely unnecessary for a transmission. Properly installed and warranted you should have no problem getting a decent low mileage trans that will last a long time. Subaru transmissions are very reliable, making it pointless to spend a ton of money replacing one.