Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rebuild kit

ok, ive seached, and all i found were duplicates of my question, with no real answers. :rolleyes: lol, well anyway, ill be in the market for a engine rebuild kit for my ea82t. does anybody know a good quality kit that will allow me to rebuild. basicaly just bearings, rings, and gaskets.(re-ring kit) where can i find one of these, ive searched and have found a lot of ea81 kits, but none for the ea82t.

any help will be appriciated, thanks.

I don't know of any complete kit for them. I think you'll have to piece it together. Rings and bearings aren't cheap though. Have you contacted CCRinc in Colorado? They build Subaru engines to factory specs and ship to your door. They do short and long blocks.

CCRinc

i've checked out there site before, but i havn't contacted them.

when im good and ready to buy ill check them out i guess. thanks q man. does anyone know a good source for the parts, for "piecing together." any individual places, with good parts and service will be helpfull.

thanks again.

Apparently, although CCR does a great job, they will not do heavy customization - like decking the heads, or regrinding a cam... so it really depends on what you want. For a stock engine, CCR is the way to go since all the parts would cost you just as much, and the labor must be figured as well... They will do some customization - such as using pistons from other subaru engines that will fit (eg EA71 into EA81..).

GD

just for others info... i got a quote on an ea82T from CCR for my RX... $1795/exchange+shipping

i know i can get parts and do it myself for alot less than that.. needless to say i didn't go that route..

you'll prolly have to check around various places nd get bearings here, rings there, etc..

I have rebuilt two of these. One SPFI and one Turbo. I can tell you that if you use the same quality parts as CCR, you will find that they have a very good price. Also, consider their generous warranty. The only reason to do it your self is for personal satisfaction. If you don't really enjoy doing this kind of work, you are in for one hell of a project. Some things like cleaning up all the parts of your old engine are very time consuming and downright suck doing. You will not save much money, if any, especially if your time is worth anything to you. Next time I will buy an engine.

As for finding a rebuild kit, I would suggest purchasing your parts from multiple sources rather than looking for a kit. All the info is here, try searching again. We have discussed it recently. I can point you towards a few threads where engine rebuild parts have been discussed. Try reading these threads first. Then try searching for stuff like "turbo rod bearings", "gaskets", "oil pump", etc. Or, you could search the older generation forum for my username.

Good luck.

well i really dont mind the work involved, in fact i like it, and my time is, well i have plenty of it.

ok ive searched a little more and i still havnt picked my route. but thats ok, i still need to gather some money up.

im thinkin that when the time comes ill just ask them and compare prices. thanks for all the info.

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7032

I'm in the middle of rebuilding a turbo motor myself. Let me first say that I totally agree on buying one from CCR. There price is great, especially if you wind up needing things machined.

Anyhow, when I went looking for the Bearings it turned out that just about all of the major manufacturers list the same bearings for every ea series motor, turbo or not. The bearings are in fact not the same. Read through the above thread and you'll understand more.

Keith

Subwoohoo:

I'm getting ready to start one too, so we'll be going thru many of the same steps. I haven't even begun to look for rebuild parts.

I didn't know that CCR sold kits, but it makes sense that they would. They are great people to deal with.

Email me off the board and we'll compare notes

John

thealleyboy@yahoo.com

ok so is the leone? basically the same as the gl10 (same engine)? at power-auto-parts.com, the parts are good quality right? if so, good prices!

umm, is there anything else i should keep in mind when rebuilding? any ea82t "snags" that generally occur? any other info. if not thank you all, very helpful!

You can try H&M sales in Richmond Va. I bought a rebuild kit from them and it was very reasonable. Around three hundred if I remember correctly. The kit was one they pieced together for my needs. They are great people to work with.

804-359-5778