Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing Front Halfshaft/Wheel Bearings on Impreza

What sort of a job is this and can I do it with ordinary hand tools? My service manual (Chiltons) shows some special pullers being used. Do I need them to do this job or will your basic 3 jaw jobby do it? Or do I even need a puller? A buddy of mine wants me to do his Impreza for him, and I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I volunteer. Thanks for helping me out here.

My $.02, without the proper 'drift' tools, you will probably ruin the new bearings or housings. But what I would suggest is most machine shops are set up to do these. I would call around to find one, then remove the housings, take them to the shop and have them install the new bearings.

Like back in the 60's when we had machine shops press on new rear bearings on RWD cars.

The half shafts aren't too bad. The biggest issue for me was getting the stupid axle nut off. I think it's 32mm.

You also have some options when removing the axle from the hub, you can try and disconnect the ball joint from the hub to give you enough room to get the axle out. Or you can loosen the bolts that hold the strut onto the hub (however you need to have an aligmnent done. Thirdway is to loosen the front bolt that holds the lower A-arm to the frame. I haven't done the last way, but others have said it works.