Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any Docs in the House? Want to Diagnose?

Hi ==

Anybody want to take a stab at what this brand new problem might be?

Auto: 89 Subaru Gl Sedan Manual 170,000 Miles and yes, it leaks oil.

At idle, no unusual sounds. Seems fine.

At idle, when I give it gas or back off the gas, I hear a rumble coming from the engine. It seems to be on the driver's side.

When I hold the gas at a set speed, I don't hear the rumble. It's loud. It just started an hour ago. .

Any suggestions on how I can better describe the noise?

Thought it kinda sounded like exhaust but just had new muffler put on about a month ago.

Sounds like a blown-out exhaust gasket to me. Having the muffler done wouldn't make any difference - in fact having it done so recently might have *caused* the blow-out due to jostling of the exhaust when they installed it and additional back-pressure from replaceing the old one that I assume had holes or other serious issues. They also may not have used the correct gaskets on the muffler-to-midpipe flange. If you don't use gaskets that have the metal sealing ring on the ID they will blow out quickly.

GD

Thanks folks..for the speedy replies. Your replies prompted me to get under the car. Ick. Ouch. I can see a pipe up front that has a seam on it that has split. As you can tell, I'm no car expert. It looks like it's part of the exhaust system.

If it's not one thing, it's...

... I can see a pipe up front that has a seam on it that has split...

...it is the Exhaust Pipe...

Did you say "Rumble" Sound? ... Could it be a Worn Ball Bearing from one of the Timin` Belt`s Tensioneers?

I Suggest to Start the Engine and go hear it close, accelerate it Manualy, Slowly untill the Noise Come and Go, and Try to Determine the place where it Comes From...

Good Luck! :burnout:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it sounds like exhaust to me.

This spring I pulled an engine to fix... something - i don't remember, it becomes a blur after a while, - and three weeks after I put the engine back in, I started to hear a similar noise. I was sure I split the front pipe. When I finally got under and took a looksee, I found that some knucklehead (me) forgot to put the exhaust bolts on the passenger side exhaust manifold.... :horse: