Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Re-attaching power window switches to armrest of '90 Legacy

Hi all -

One more question about my '90 Legacy wagon:

The driver's side armrest contains four rocker switches that control the car's four electric windows. The switches are mounted on a sub-assembly of some kind. The mounts which attach the front of this sub-assembly to the armrest have broken free, so that pressing down on the switches causes them to sink into the armrest (and I assume it's only a matter of time before the remaining mounts bust and the whole thing falls into the armrest). Fixing this properly would involve removing the door panel, something that I'm reluctant to do given the chances of breaking the various retaining tabs. I was wondering whether it might be possible to glue the sub-assembly back in place with a dab of epoxy without disassembling the door - has anyone ever tried something like this?

Thanks!

Zack

You just use a large flat blade screwdriver

or a garden weed puller with the little forked tip... but a screwdriver works good, I have a huge one that I use so I don't poke little holes in anything...

and GD is right, it's pretty easy...

unscrew the 3 or so armrest screws, the door handle plastic, and then pop out the clips around the edges... have the window down and the panel will lift right up... then unplug the connectors to the power window switch before you yank the panel too far from the door...

it'll be much easier to work with the switch panel with the entire door panel off...

--Spiffy

You are right about the potential for the control panel to fall completely into the armrest, which is what mine did. I can still work everything, just have to reach my finger in -- they don't fall down very far.

I have also put off fixing it because I'm not fond of working inside doors but the replies here have motivated me to add that to my 90 Legacy Wagon todo list.

Hardest part is that little plastic "sail" behind the mirror. Pry that very carefully, and slowly, one tab at a time. Other than that, there is one large screw at the top of the door pull (inside handle), and one midway along the underside of the bottom (behind a plastic cover. the one at the top will have a sponge "plug" in it). Next, use a butter knife to release the clips on teh back of the door-handle trim (the rear clips are right at the pivot point for the handle) and wiggle the front clip off to release it. Now there are 3 or 4 screws around the front speaker grille, then you can actually pull the rest of the tabs by hand, or use the garden tool/screwdriver trick mentioned above. At this point the door handle just comes up and off, then you unclip the wiring connections so you can work with whatever you need.

Now that you have the door panel off:

Three screws attach the window switch to the plastic that turns out to be that bit of trim that also holds the pocket on top of the door-pull (armrest). Often, one of the screws will have just fallen out, so you can simply replace it and all should be well. On the other hand (you will find different fingers). . oh yeah, If however, you discover that the post that the screw goes into is actually broken, I actually have a spare for you. This is, of course, providing that the dark grey matches your interior to your satisfaction. You can let me know by PM or email if you need the part. It will come with or without the switch attached.