Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2008 impreza gas gauge no worky cel on

2008 Impreza driving the other day and the fuel gauge went to E, check engine light came on cruise light is flashing. I ran the Schucks scanner on it and it says fuel level sender. Makes sense. Will they have to pull the tank on this or just replace a sensor outside. I'm trying to decide whether or no to get a loaner car or not. Thanks

"someone spilled something sticky (soda) on the connectors for the fuel level sendor and fuel pump... "

Weird, the car has like 1200 miles on it. Where are the connectors for the fuel level sender and fuel pump? We had the windows tinted that is the only thing I can think of. I'll know more in Thursday and we are getting a loaner car :headbang:

Good luck! I just bought my 08 Impreza and put just over 1000 miles on it already (hasnt been a month yet). That sounds suspicious that you had only tinted windows installed and then this happens. Did you take to have it done at a dealer or another place? These days with a bad economy, people will do things to make you come back and you wont even know it. Becareful!!! :eek:

Off topic, but what color is yours? I bought mine in the Diamond Grey Metallic with black cloth interior, everyone loves it!!!

Did you take to have it done at a dealer or another place? These days with a bad economy, people will do things to make you come back and you wont even know it. Becareful!!! :eek:

First, I dont know of a dealer that will install tint for you. In many cases it voids part of your warranty.

I have seen tint shops damage glass, sliders, tracks, regulators, wiring in the doors, door panels, clips etc.

They have made the factory radio antennas unable to pickup stations.

Most of the tint I am seeing added to the cars mentioned is illegal tint level as well. Cops will harrass you to no end for breaking this law in some states. I know a guy that got shot because the tint was dark enough that the cop mistook a cell phone for a gun being pointed at him. (please do not open the cops are bad debate here)

I see no correlation between a bad economy and people doing things to your car to make you come back. That is an absolutely rediculous statement. Show me an example before saying something like that.

Futhermore, the bad economy has been terrific for me as a dealer technician. People are paying to fix their cars instead of buying new ones, along with resurrecting the old Subaru that is in their garage instead of fixing their guzzlers. They are paying to have spark plugs and wires replaced, nitrogen added to their tires, the works if it might help improve mileage.

Back on topic....

The sensors (2) are on top of the tank. They average the two main sections of the tank.

The cruise light is on because the CEL is on. This is a new feature that Subaru put in where your cruise is disabled if your CEL is on. I think this is due to the fact that it turns an additional light on that people are less likely to ignore and locks out a feature making them more likely to bring it in for service. Every day I pull a car into the shop that has the check engine light on that the customer didnt even ask us to look into. They just want their oil changed and tires rotated and have had the light on for 15K miles or more~!

Its not terribly uncommon to have these go bad I have seen 2 in the last 6 months. On both it has been the passenger side sensor that fixed the problem. Im not sure if this is a fluke or not. Either way its almost always covered under warranty and shouldnt have anything do do with the tint. In my case one wasnt covered...it was damaged by rodents chewing wires in the customers garage because they left a 50 pound bag of dog food in the car for 2 weeks while at the airport. Deemed customers fault IIRC. Subaru covered labor to install but not the damaged parts. There was dog food in the air intake, trunk, seats, dash, heater box....and the whole car smelled like CHEAP dog food. Cost the customer almost 500 dollars to remove the smell, have the car detailed, seats taken apart and the wiring repaired.

It truly pays to not leave food wrappers, gum, (OR A MONTHS WORTH OF DOG FOOD-DUH!) etc in your car and to take nice care of it.

Wow, my bad, didnt mean to set you off.

I was not aware that a dealer did or didnt install tint. That is why I asked in the first place. As far as my comment about places which make you go back... I have taken my other car (before the Soob) to a very well known shop, which I will not mention the name, and every time I went back these mechanics have tried to pull fast ones. Every time i went in there they always seem to find something else wrong. In fact one occasion my car made noises everytime I touched the brake. Come to find out I was missing screws to keep the brakes intact. After that I never went back. So there is your example. Maybe they took advantage bc I am a girl who knows absolutley nothing about cars, let alone mine... or who knows maybe it was a simple error that someone didnt catch... As far as the economy being tied in it... I was saying so because of the recession that we are in, so many companies are closing and going bankrupt. Mechanics arent the highest paid jobs, but some places I have seen will do a half fast job and scam their customers- doing whatever to make a quick buck.

There is no need to get all hyped at me... I was only asking.

Edited by MissRis

Since I have had my 08 Imp for almost a year ...and 22K miles..I actually have a good idea on some of their quirks also...the fuel gauge will sometimes stick for a couple minutes..when its close to full...but it will drop...Also..if you add gas while the car is running ...it will not read the fuel level until you shut the car off and turn it back on.

This is all common...what the OP is stating is not. A better place to find out info on the 08 Imps is over on Nasioc.

And what Shawn says is right on...( BTW I have tinted windows..but it was done by a high end place...and has its own seperate warranty...was also recommended by my dealer)

And dont let being a girl be an excuse...learn something...I happen to be a girl too ..and I have learned how to do my own maintanence..I have been doing minor repairs for many years... I have owned in upwards of 40 + cars..from everything..get a manual..read about your car..open the owners manual..thats what it is for

Edited by Bucky92

And dont let being a girl be an excuse...learn something...I happen to be a girl too ..and I have learned how to do my own maintanence..I have been doing minor repairs for many years... I have owned in upwards of 40 + cars..from everything..get a manual..read about your car..open the owners manual..thats what it is for

FYI, I am learning about my car. You just dont learn all of it over night- it takes time. Thank you.

Shawn W, Thanks for the info, its nice to know that technicians are on here too. I cannot imagine driving 15k miles with the CEL on, no pride in ownership.

MissRis, I have the DGM also with black interior and oops "illegal" tinted windows. I threw some new wheels and tires on there too, it looks pretty good.