Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Warm up or death

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kayak

kayak

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Pennsylvania

Posted 08 January 2004 - 08:24 AM

I'm new to this forum, own a 97 Outback with 105,000. My car must be completely warmed up, no matter what the outside temperature, before I can drive it. If the engine is cold and I attempt to drive anywhere, the car completely dies under any load (even the smallest hill defeats it). I lose all power, the engine shuts down, the check engine light comes on and sometimes goes off but often stays on. I have had numerous trips to the garage and dealer but the diagnostic only shows a failure, not what caused the failure. I have had a new oxygen sensor, oil pump, battery, spark plugs and wires, ignition...over $3600 in repairs in the past 10 months.

Does anyone recognize this problem and have a solution? If I have to let the car warm up for 5 minutes before driving, so be it, but I don't want to ignore a potentially serious problem.

Thanks!

#2 intrigueing

intrigueing

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • IL

Posted 08 January 2004 - 08:35 AM

When the check engine light comes on codes are stored in the computer - these codes are related to a specific sensor that has an error in reading. The codes almost always tell you exactly what is wrong, or at least give you clues of what to check. Get the codes pulled and ask them to tell you the codes - some autozone stores will pull the codes for free, or some dealers are nice enough to pull the codes as well. My wild guess at your problem is the coolant temperature sensor, or cam sensor. Get the codes, it sounds like your shops are not telling you the whole story - ask them the #'s of the codes and what they think the problem is.

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,979 posts
  • Texas

Posted 08 January 2004 - 08:36 AM

Maybe a bad temp sensor is telling the ECU the engine is warmed up all the time? Try a search for temp sensor - evidently they can fail in 2 different modes.

#4 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,650 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 08 January 2004 - 09:31 AM

I'd say temp sensor as well. They're like a $20 item or so. not very expensive.

here's a pic

http://www.main.expe...rs/DCP_2477.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users