Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Brat: Solid Axle Build *** DONE! :) ***

mcbrat

Wow Mick, that turned out really well. Have you figured out articulation numbers yet?

No. I still need to set the bumpstops, and get the spring retainers in place, but that'll be after I get the brakes done. started working on the front brakes upgrade last night, but didn't get too far....

ok so i really think it would be cool with na EJ swap but thats just me. LOOKS SWEET !!!!

:)

No room for it.

the stock front drivers frame rail in engine compartment has been removed, and a new section added that is straight. that was to fit the Toy IFS steering box in to clear the tires. and to have something strong enough to handle the forces on the steering box.

so an EJ is too wide to fit in now, and too deep. the EJ's oil pan hangs down lower than an ea81 oil pan, and There's not room for steering clearance....

Trust me, with the motor that is in there it already is "KILLER"... I know cuz I helped build it!!

yep :) ask the people that rode in it with me at WCSS 7 in the gravel pit, with a Holley 600 cfm carb on it :eek:

yep :) ask the people that rode in it with me at WCSS 7 in the gravel pit, with a Holley 600 cfm carb on it :eek:

Yes!!! Fond memory. Well photographed by Subiesport no less. That photo hangs in my garage next to the workbench for easy reference!

Pics coming through.

I see you have a new & improved bumper, does that mean the older one is without a home?

old bumper is for sale locally, but most likely will be modified and kept for a different soob. it's too heavy as is.... it must weigh 125 pounds......

page 26 has pictures, it is looking nice, coming along even more than i figured. cant wait to see it again

I was moving along good on the brakes, and then I started the rotor/caliper upgrade for the front... PITA. hub studs. one cone washer came out normally. another came out when I doubled up nuts and backed the whole stud out. the other 4 needed a nut welded onto the stud, then backed out... so I just ordered a set of new hub studs for the front....

and seperating the rotor from the hub housing is not nearly as simple as the soobie.... will be working on that tonight......

the rear could be a stickler too, as I have some broken/missing wheel studs, and the replacement process is gonna consume more time/money than I had hoped.....

still shooting for the campout, but feel like I'm losing ground now.....

I was moving along good on the brakes, and then I started the rotor/caliper upgrade for the front... PITA. hub studs. one cone washer came out normally. another came out when I doubled up nuts and backed the whole stud out. the other 4 needed a nut welded onto the stud, then backed out... so I just ordered a set of new hub studs for the front....

and seperating the rotor from the hub housing is not nearly as simple as the soobie.... will be working on that tonight......

the rear could be a stickler too, as I have some broken/missing wheel studs, and the replacement process is gonna consume more time/money than I had hoped.....

still shooting for the campout, but feel like I'm losing ground now.....

Wasn't there only one rear stud that was missing? That should be easy to replace, pull the drum off and poke it out with a punch, and then push a new one in from the back side and "press" it into place by tightening the nut down.

Wasn't there only one rear stud that was missing? That should be easy to replace, pull the drum off and poke it out with a punch, and then push a new one in from the back side and "press" it into place by tightening the nut down.

Hey Chris! not sure on the rear stud. could've been. I've done the "press" by tightening before, but wasn't sure if that would suffice for this.... :)

ended up cleaning/organizing in the house tonight, and got step "resurfacing" to do tomorrow afternoon... and mowing... provided the rain stops....

should get to the Brat Saturday night...

picked up gear oil, another section of fuel line, and grease for the front tonight...