Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Brat: Solid Axle Build *** DONE! :) ***

mcbrat

well, I drove it to work today, and got some more fuel... I can still step into the seat like I always did.... I can't do that with my '72 Chevy.....

looks like my shakedown run will be in Sept. at Castana, though my new house has some large rocks by the driveway, and I'm gonna be sure and drive up on them and get some pics of the underside...

It rides about like my 3/4T 72 Chevy w/lift.... :lol: but I need to lower the tire pressures.

The soob EA81 PS pump paired with the Toyota IFS steering box works well.

Brent, if you really want to test yours out, you should come to the Castana event... you can still do plenty of stuff there without denting it like I did :)

apart from grade B roads, Castan is the most soob friendly of any of the private offroad places....

Its so beautiful...

I wanna see that thing doing 65 through brush over 20ft jumps :burnout:

Ok, now you HAVE to go on a road trip.

Just so all of us USMB members can see it :)

Twitch

I am sure there will be a reason for people to come to Iowa now. For 1, if your a BRAT lover, you gotta see this. We should have a mini meet again in DM somewhere, sometime before we get crap weather, remember the last meet it rained, and the one before snowed.

I am sure there will be a reason for people to come to Iowa now. For 1, if your a BRAT lover, you gotta see this. We should have a mini meet again in DM somewhere, sometime before we get crap weather, remember the last meet it rained, and the one before snowed.

Snow!! You say it like it's a bad thing. :banana:

Just gotta bring the long-handles and a tarp, and your good! :lol:

Of course, if you have a wagon you don't have to brave the elements. :cool:

well, I drove it to work today, and got some more fuel... I can still step into the seat like I always did.... I can't do that with my '72 Chevy.....

looks like my shakedown run will be in Sept. at Castana, though my new house has some large rocks by the driveway, and I'm gonna be sure and drive up on them and get some pics of the underside...

It rides about like my 3/4T 72 Chevy w/lift.... :lol: but I need to lower the tire pressures.

The soob EA81 PS pump paired with the Toyota IFS steering box works well.

Brent, if you really want to test yours out, you should come to the Castana event... you can still do plenty of stuff there without denting it like I did :)

apart from grade B roads, Castan is the most soob friendly of any of the private offroad places....

Lookin' good!!! I'm going to look forward to seeing the pics! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

im up for a iowa meet. After or before castina. Maybe out at micks new place for a bbq. I do need to return that tool to you.

Did you get them brakes on yet? if not, I could buy them back, as I may be getting something to put them on :-p

And if we have something at the new place, everyone has to make a detour to my storage unit and bring up some boxes :)

Dont know what else he could do besides strap some rocket boosters in the bed.:eek:

gearing, lockers, power, skidplates, axle gusset(s), full-floating rear hubs :slobber:, steering, etc.

if money were no object, I see many things I would do differently. But that really would be ridiculously expensive and time-consuming. I love it as-is, but you can bet there will be upgrades :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

ok, right rear inner axle seal is replaced, and no more leaks!

it's ready for the drive to my new house.... apparently my brake lights don't work either, plus I was having some IGN switch issues, and switched to my backup one :lol:

made the 30 minute trip on interstate just fine. was even able to use 5th gear. Keeping up with traffic in 5th gear at 3500 RPMs.... works for me... but the lockright sure makes a helluva noise when you let off the gas at 70 :)

the bigger rocks at my place I can't get to yet, but here's a little one....

brat-rock-1.jpg

brat-rock-2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...