Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Brat: Solid Axle Build *** DONE! :) ***

mcbrat

Yes, if I push down on the rear it will bounce (no shocks yet). The tire used for mock up is a Q78-15 Swamper on a very bent beadlocked rim, so not that huge (35").:)

This should be very streetworthy when it's done, there's no reason it shouldn't be. With 8 degrees of caster and the link angles that are built into it the drive should actually be pretty good. The increased width will help with the added height, and the almost 10" stretch on the wheelbase will make it more stable on rough roads. Tires have a lot to do with it, and with the BFG's it will do fine....but it won't be a sports car.... :)

Sweet! The tires are HUGE for a Brat or any subaru for that matter! You have tom remember that the stock tire is a 185 70 13! So having a 35 inch tire is insane!! Hopefully the gearing will work really well with the amount power it puts out. If so than it should drive ok. Cool project

Yeah, I know. When Mick rolled into the shop he had 5" of lift to clear the 27" SSR's.

Mick has calculated the final ratios, and taking into account everything except the increased weight, it should be comparable to the original brat gearing on 23's in street mode. The really good thing about the way he chose his parts, is that there are countless options of things he can upgrade if he needs to. Transfer case gears all the way down to 8:1, ring and pinion gears down to 5.xx:1. His only limitation will be the number of RPM's his engine can take...:banana:

yep, its all gearing.the monster crawlers are even utilizing four bangers now sometimes.granted, they are "built" 4 bangers,but none the less.....if those zookies you see at the ORV park are able to get around like that on 35's i see noo reaso0n why the brat should not.cheers, brain

You mentioned earlier that this will be on/off road rig. Think it'll still be freeway legal...what kinda top speed you hoping for? Amazing build, guys!!!

Top Speed? yeah right :) even with the 27's I always drove it floored...

really no idea what it will be :) if I can get the sammy speedo cable to work on my speedo, then I'll do some test with GPS, and make a new dial to register the right speed....

Top Speed? yeah right :) even with the 27's I always drove it floored...

really no idea what it will be :) if I can get the sammy speedo cable to work on my speedo, then I'll do some test with GPS, and make a new dial to register the right speed....

Kinda what I figured. Here in Wa, freeway speed is 70 in spots, which I think my weberized EA82 can just manage with 27's. Yours won't need roads at all! :banana:

yep, its all gearing.the monster crawlers are even utilizing four bangers now sometimes

oh yea, seen a couple '80s Toyotas up at the ORV park here in MN crawling with stock motors and 200+:1 crawl ratios. it's something else to see a rig going to through some gnarly rock crawl with his left foot hanging out the door (gearing is so low....don't even need to touch the clutch pedal).

Sweet! The tires are HUGE for a Brat or any subaru for that matter! You have tom remember that the stock tire is a 185 70 13! So having a 35 inch tire is insane!! Hopefully the gearing will work really well with the amount power it puts out. If so than it should drive ok. Cool project

in looking at the gear calcs, when going from a 23" tire to a 35" tire, with original 3.9 gearing, the new gears needed to make up for the tire size would be 5.935...

with the new 4.10 axles, and the sammy high range reduction of 1.409:1, it takes me to equiv of 5.777 gears. and that's still running the soob in high range.

in looking at the gear calcs, when going from a 23" tire to a 35" tire, with original 3.9 gearing, the new gears needed to make up for the tire size would be 5.935...

with the new 4.10 axles, and the sammy high range reduction of 1.409:1, it takes me to equiv of 5.777 gears. and that's still running the soob in high range.

Sweet! So with it in lo range it will be well below the stock gearing. It should go quite nicely

Great pics.

Whats the TT disconect? Is it an aftermarket rear drive disconnect or something? Why? Front digs?

Like what you've done with the lower links on the rear axle. Nice and clean instead of hanging down. Not a lot of leverage but should be fine with your HP.

Also like what you've done with the engine crossmember. Cleaned up that area nicely. Radius plates gone cleans it up even more.

Great work.

hi,

could you explain the rear drive disconnect? is that to be able to use the brat in FWD like stock?

To further clarify, is that what my 81GL does? the tranny has axles on the front that drive it 95% of the time. When i shift into 4wd it engages the rear axle...is that all correct?

are you duplicating the same thing, but doing it AFTER the sammy box?

thanks,

Brian

p.s. I really love this build and would consider it for my GL. good stuff.

hi,

could you explain the rear drive disconnect? is that to be able to use the brat in FWD like stock?

To further clarify, is that what my 81GL does? the tranny has axles on the front that drive it 95% of the time. When i shift into 4wd it engages the rear axle...is that all correct?

are you duplicating the same thing, but doing it AFTER the sammy box?

thanks,

Brian

p.s. I really love this build and would consider it for my GL. good stuff.

Yes, it disconnects the rear driveshaft from the t-case, which would in effect make it able to be driven in front wheel drive, just like a stock Brat, but with all the gearing options....

http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=89&category_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Yes, the stock subaru 4WD system is FWD, then it engages the rear when put into 4WD.