Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Brat: Solid Axle Build *** DONE! :) ***

mcbrat

have you had any issues with the sammi t-case lever shifting into gears after the case being clocked,and (i am assuming here) the shifter rod massaged,bent and or both?cheers, brian

actually, it hasn't been bent yet, however, the shifter is has indexing tabs, where it installs, and you can take the shifter out, and turn it 180 deg, and reinstall. that's how mine is done at this point, but will still need to be bent to clear the pass seat better. you'll want to install some new urethane "shifter sheets" (bushings) as well, because the stock ones apparently have a tendency to wear to a point where it won't let you shift the t-case.....

:popcorn:

:banghead: just waiting for this to be done.

patience....

it's getting a lot closer now, but I'd guess it's March sometime when it's complete.... I just got some of the parts yesterday for the trackbar and drag link. still waiting on the tie-rod and pitman arm.

and the wheels. the wheel order got messed up, so had to order them again... (wrong backspacing)... this is the biggest holdup right now probably, as we need to get my tires mounted and on so the bumpstops can be set, and the sheetmetal cut, and the steering clearancing needed....

a lot of the decisions on stuff has needed to wait until parts were done, to see what was feasible for the next step.....

still need to decide on shock mount locations which will impact whether or not I use long travel shocks.

have you had any issues with the sammi t-case lever shifting into gears after the case being clocked,and (i am assuming here) the shifter rod massaged,bent and or both?cheers, brian

Nope, no issues. We haven't bent the shifter yet...will do so before closing up the rest of the floor and make it so Mick can comfortably reach it seatbelted in.

as we need to get my tires mounted and on so the bumpstops can be set, and the sheetmetal cut, and the steering clearancing needed....

a lot of the decisions on stuff has needed to wait until parts were done, to see what was feasible for the next step.....

I think this statement accurately defines a custom build!!

save the sheetmetal that gets cut off, especially rear quarter panel. I am sure, someday, a cheap Brat will be for sale locally, with rusted qp arches, so they could be used as patches....keep them in the attic or something.

I probably would *IF* they were straight :lol:

righto, thanks for the heads up.my case is getting rebuilt before i put it in,so, the shifter sheet is i=on the list,seeing as how mine is already FUBAR"D......:lol:cheers, brian

actually, it hasn't been bent yet, however, the shifter is has indexing tabs, where it installs, and you can take the shifter out, and turn it 180 deg, and reinstall. that's how mine is done at this point, but will still need to be bent to clear the pass seat better. you'll want to install some new urethane "shifter sheets" (bushings) as well, because the stock ones apparently have a tendency to wear to a point where it won't let you shift the t-case.....

I don't think you'd want what I've cut off. Remember, he's been wheeling this thing for years now and it did have 30's on it at one point in time (think BFH).:)

you gotta love the sound made from a sledge whacking against the unibody of a vehicle up on jackstands all around, and the nice sounds made as it echos off all the houses along the street :)

Wow, this build is awesome. I was just thinking "why doesnt someone do a live axle conversion on an older suby instead of worrying about cv's and longer struts".

Great job man. I am excited to see the finished product.

this isn't the first one.... there's been a few others with solids....

all of which were studied before doing this one....

Do you know of any others with live front axles?

there's the Turd Wagon build that was started around the same time as mine... (TheBeastIDrive - Bill O.)

there was an XT6 that had Toyota axles front and rear...

"Death Hatch" had toy axles front and rear, though I don't know what it's final state was...last I remember they were working on steering.

and there's a Brat in the PNW that has a Brat body on a Toy frame and drive train...

There's pics of a few here too... all on full frames with different drive trains most likely

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/brats/bratcolors/79-lifted.jpg

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/brats/bratcolors/cust-brumby2.jpg

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/brats/miscphotos/spoiledbrat.jpg

Yeah I have seen and hear of a few solid axle rigs, and I have an outlandishy tall solid axle DL wagon in the works, has GMC Jimmy axles under it, project is on hold for the moment though. And yes, it is the Turd wagon :grin:

I am excited to see this Brat finished, the things I find special about it is that McBrat and his builder have kept it as low as possible while making it as flexy as possible, and beefed up everything that will bear any forces. It will be a thing of beauty :banana:

-Bill

Yes that's one of the things I like about it as well. The fact that yes, it's going to have solid axles but isn't sitting 5 feet of the ground(exaggerated). It's not going to be super top heavy and susceptible to tipping over on the trails. But at the same time it's going to be quite flexy and have lots of traction and gearing!

All welding to-date has been MIG with 75/25 gas and .035 wire on the tubing and brackets, and .023 wire where sheetmetal was involved. Once it is determined how much oil pan mods are needed, any work there will be done with the TIG.

Is it hard wire, or inner shield wire???

I'm just trying to figure out what exact setup that is.

Looks like dual shield to me.

Thanks for all that McBrat. Those body-on-frame conversions are pretty cool, and I'd seen them before, but your Brat is in a whole different league. The others I haven't seen. Must have missed the turd wagon build-up and now the pics aren't working. I don't know if any of those other conversions you listed actually got driving/wheeling.

One day, if I get done with current projects, I might try my hand at live axles under a sube. I even have an '85 Toyota pickup wreck I can rip the axles out of. In the meantime, yours is coming along great, a real inspiration.

Well, since I cant edit in the Off Road threads, here is a pic of the Turd as it sits right now, as I said earlier progress on it is on hold for a while.

11-29-08_1232.jpg

Being built to rule mudpits more than anything else, hence the outrageous ride height. Lots more to do to it, but its a start :grin:

Back on topic, Mc's Brat is gonna kick rump roast. Would be awesome if it were to be at WCSS11 this year....

-Bill

Well, since I cant edit in the Off Road threads, here is a pic of the Turd as it sits right now, as I said earlier progress on it is on hold for a while.

11-29-08_1232.jpg

Being built to rule mudpits more than anything else, hence the outrageous ride height. Lots more to do to it, but its a start :grin:

Back on topic, Mc's Brat is gonna kick rump roast. Would be awesome if it were to be at WCSS11 this year....

-Bill

What is with you and no doors here lately man.:lol:

Well, I (with support from my wife :grin: ) am attempting to keep the Brat looking like a Brat. It will have the jump seats in the rear (though not quite the same location, it'll be close...)

I could not find any 17" wagon wheels, so I went with something close enough....

WHEEL.jpg

TIRE.jpg

Well, I (with support from my wife :grin: ) am attempting to keep the Brat looking like a Brat. It will have the jump seats in the rear (though not quite the same location, it'll be close...)

I could not find any 17" wagon wheels, so I went with something close enough....

Works for me too. ABSOLUTELY SIC man SIC:headbang::slobber::headbang::slobber::headbang::slobber:. Wish I had the funding and time to duplicate with my Wagon AND a Gen 1 BRAT.