Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Brat: Solid Axle Build *** DONE! :) ***

mcbrat

I am thinking about converting a saab 900 to 4wd with a sammy t case and toyota axles.Other than some minor tweaks the build looks to be pretty similar.That and I cant stand just putting the car on a toyota frame with leafs(ew.)

although I might just put the saab on the toyota frame then build it the way I want to when money isnt so tight...

wholy crap, that thing is a monster!! Looks good though. What else needs to be done?

driveshafts lengthened

new driveshaft tunnels in floor

power steering set-up (with future SPFI in mind)

remove remote oil sender setup and go back to stock

brakes all around (including trying to use a hill holder....)

locker for rear

new front tube bumper with winch mount

door/rocker protectors

roll bar

fuel cell placement and plumbing

shocks

battery mount (probably an optima mounted in the spare tire tray area, but maybe a bed mounted battery)

painting all the bare steel

either some spring spacers or lift springs for the rear to get back to the Subaru "rake"

Looks sweet... from the early pics I was afraid the front axle was going to be too far forward.... but it looks perfect :slobber:

if it had been a stock brat initially, it may have been even further forward, but I had already adjusted the rear of the front wheel wells about 4" to make room for 30's :lol:

Too all those Yota's out there, Pifffft! SUBARU FTW

Seriously though mate, very nice... Might just have to build one for the fun of it! Trailer Queen for me of course, stupid Australia. Nah, probably will never happen. I'll just come visit sometime and demand a ride.

I got my sammy speedo cable last week, and I finaly dug out my spare soob cluster... cable is a perfect fit for the cluster, so I'll be able to use my GPS, and create some new numbers for my speedo, and have accurate reasdings since I'll still be streeting this quite a bit....