Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I long for the boost love

Caboobaroo

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well plans for it as follow.

I'm going to drop the 22T into the car as it is along with just a regular 3.9 final EJ 5-speed to get it going. Then is where the fun will begin.

First off, once its running and driving, the motor will get pulled and torn down to a bare block. Then off to the machinest to get punched out .020 over and then will get a 2.5 crank and rods stuffed into it. Also, it will be getting Wiseco pistons that are made for this stroker kit. At this point in time, the motor will become a 2.4 liter stroker:slobber:

Then I also have a set of EJ20G DOHC heads that will get worked with a full port and polish, new springs, probably some 272 cams, new valves and so on. Intake will be from a '94 STi engine which the heads came from, again some p-n-p will be done if nessessary and portmatching as well.

Exhaust is still up in the air a bit. Thinking about an equal length header to a rotated GT32R turbo, full 3" turbo back exhaust with external wastegate.

Intercooler will still be top mount since I don't want to do too much hacking for a front mount unless I get the whole front end of the car torn apart and see what I have to work with. So with that, a huge top mount intercooler complete with fans and N02 sprayer as well.

Fuel is going to be a huge upgraded pump, some 850cc injectors, custom fuel rails for them, methanol kit, and other odd and ends for it to work.

Then I'll be installing an AEM EFI box which will run me about $350, then tuning.

Now up until this point, you were thinking to yourself, "Man thats a crazy build but what about the tranny? It can't hold that power!?!?!" Well no it won't need too. I'm looking at stuffing the STi 6-speed into the car with a one piece driveshaft:eek: I'm also going to see about getting rid of the fuel tank, putting a fuel cell in the back and stuff the EJ rear subframe under the car. Then I'll be able to put a R180 back there I think but its still up in the air on the plans for the rest of the drivetrain. I know I can bolt Brembos to my front knuckles and use '04 STi rotors, the back will be a bit different. Might use the stock trailing arms and beef up the stock rear subframe OR like I said before, do some major fabbing for the EJ rear subframe.

• 1 month later...

So I'm going to update this endevor since I've gotten some done since the USMB has been down...

Anyways, I pulled the EA82 SPFI out last month and had been sitting for 3 weeks before I decided to get down to business. I drug it down to my buddy's shop last week and got going on it. First thing was to finish removing the EA82 crap from the car, like the RX gearbox, linkages, driveline and exhaust. Last night I set the EJ22T into the car but thats about as much as I've gotten. I still need to remove the EA wiring harness and get the EJ harness spliced into it since its just about ready to go into the car.

Now is when I need a few items as well. First off, I need a PS pump that will work with the EJ22T since mine is missing. Also need the oil feed line for the turbo, MAF sensor, and a 3.9 NA tranny with a bad gearset. My tranny has a bad bearing which Subaru lists for $87 but since I'm broke, I'm looking for one for like free.99 if possible. I also need a 3.9 EA rear diff so I don't have to spend the $8 on the rear axle cups of whatever I'd need since again, I'm pretty broke. I do have a RX gearbox that I am willing to trade for everything that I need as well;)

I have a PS pump, should work since AFAIK the turbo and non turbo use the same pump. You'll need lines though (My pump does have what's left of the lines that the junkyard hacked off when they pulled the motor, might be enough to flare and mate up with the stock PS lines). PM me your addy and I'll send it to you, you can buy me some beers next time you are down and we'll call it even.

^The EA lines will plug right into the EJ pump. and yes, AFAIK the non turbo pump is the same (either way, I know the non-turbo pump will work...).

also, what tranny bearing do you need? I've got a '93 n/a legacy tranny in pieces in the basement. worked fine when pulled, it's got some miles (like 180k, IIRC. which is why it didn't cost me anything, but seriously had nothing wrong with it). let me know what you need, and pm me your address, and I'll send it off to ya.

Sweet Andrew, I'll PM you my address

Numbchux, the bearing is the fat bearing on the back of the main shaft, opposite site of the gearset from the input shaft bearing. If you want to press it off and send it to me, that would be fantastic since new its like, almost $90. I'm reeeeeeaaaal poor:rolleyes:

So I've spent some of my time besides being poor, playing with my wiring harness. Its just about ready to get stuffed into my car this weekend if I get time. Just gotta do a bit of cleaning up the wires, finish wrapping it and connect my 6 wires into the car. Pics will come as soon as I get time to get down to the shop and take them:grin:

Numbchux, the bearing is the fat bearing on the back of the main shaft, opposite site of the gearset from the input shaft bearing. If you want to press it off and send it to me, that would be fantastic since new its like, almost $90. I'm reeeeeeaaaal poor:rolleyes:

just ran downstairs and checked....I definitely have that bearing, there seems to be a bit of play in it, but it spins real smooth, and it didn't make noise when pulled....

AND, the 5th synchro and driven gear are already pulled off the main shaft. I'll press the bearing off tomorrow and take a closer look.

to make sure we're on the right page....this one, yes?

Section3-1ManualTrannyDiffLarge.jpg

That would be the one! It doesn't matter if there's a little play in it since the tranny will be replaced when I get funding back again for a better tranny. This is just to get me by for the time being. The one I pulled from my tranny is pretyy knarled up on the bearings. Looks like it started to self destruct itself. Everything else looks good, bearings and all except for this one.

If you want to press it off and send it to me, that would be fantastic since new its like, almost $90. I'm reeeeeeaaaal poor:rolleyes:

I JUST ordered opne of those bearings. It was only about $40 at the local dealer. Who are you ordering through?

• 1 month later...

Dang, I haven't said anything in this thread for almost a month and a half.

Anyways, I've been procrastinating since the snow makes riding my bike a little umm... scary so getting down to the shop to do work has been not happening. I have been sourcing up parts I'm needing to complete the swap though and got a chance today to get down to business at the shop.

The parts I ordered besides getting the bearing from psyko in trade for the SPFI from my car, I also got the turbo exhaust gaskets, oil inlet line (in braided stainless steel!) and hopefully the MAF, some of the piping, stock boost controller and solenoids, and a PS pump.

As I said, I got to work on this beast. When I left off, you know I had torn my tranny apart to find what bearing was shot and needed to be replaced. Well I got the bearing installed today and the tranny is all back together. Doing the preload and backlash is kinda a pain BTW but I finally got it where I'm happy with it. Tranny shifts smooth sitting on the bench and went back together relativly easy seeing I tore it apart a couple months ago:rolleyes:. Tomorrow I should be doing more like getting it installed into the car! I still need to evac the R12 AC (decided to get rid of it, oh well) since its still charged, pull out the condensor and get the radiator swapped in. I also still have to oval out the engine mount holes as well but that won't take very long. Also got the harness ready to put into the car but it might be another week before I can get to it. Also gotta get the driveline shortened as well:rolleyes:

One quick question. I've seen pics of the shift linkages people have used on their EA -> EJ tranny swaps but I need to know what will be easiest. I have all of the Impreza linkages, what would you guys recommend? Oh and what pitch stopper should I use?

No pitch stopper, run GroupN mounts.

EJ linkage all the way!

I got cash for that tranny... PM me your number so I can get in touch with you.

Calm yourself on the Group N mounts... I'm still like totally strapped for money right now until I can get started at Firestone, then I'll have extra money to dump into it. For now, I just need it to work right before I decide to dig back into it. Not driving it for awhile has kinda bummed me out a bit but after getting the tranny back together this week, I'm gettin motivated once again. Oh I sent you a PM as well:-p What did you do to the back of the linkages where they attach to the tranny tunnel BTW? Thats the part I'm wondering about.

Looking at it, the pitch stopper would be about the same as a spider XT would be length wise. I think I might have one too... if not, I think I know where to get one:banana: