Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 subaru xt

The ground to what? does the pump its self ground to the body? Or is it part of the plug?

Its part of the plug, but run a fresh ground from the pump to the body and see if it runs.

If you connect the green test connector and turn the ign on you will hear the FP cycling.

Well after a little off roading in my xt i put a hole in my fuel pump so i drove it home. So i put another pump in it and now it isnt getting any power to it. .
what did you replace the fuel pump with? a subaru or aftermarket pump? new or used? maybe the new pump isn't compatible or not working?

do what rob mentioned first - plug the green test connector in first in the trunk by the ECU. with that plugged in and key on (but engine OFF), the pump will cycle on every second like rob said.

you'll notice in the link drew gave above that there's a subaru XT specific forum, you'll want to join us over there when you get a chance!

i have the pieces to lift my XT6 2" and will doing it this fall. from what i've seen lifting 2" is about max for reliable axle life. SJR or Scott in Bellingham makes lift kits for the EA82 (which is what your XT is), you can look for him on the board here and read through all the EA82 lift stuff. like mentioned already TONS of information on here about lifting your car. just keep in mind yours is an EA82 vehicle as you read through the stuff. you'll notice EA81, EA82, EJ = yours is EA82.

Hi,

I once had a 87 turbo sedan, and this happened. I found out the ground side of the fuel pump circuit is grounded in the engine computer somewhere inside it, I didn't look. I just took the ground side of the plug that goes to the pump and cut it and grounded it to the body near the pump. My hot side was still good. I hate to ask but when you tested for power at the pump plug did you also ground the other leg somewhere at that time, if not, you may not have a good reading, you would need to ground the other leg to see any power from the hot wire, if you test at the pump plug. ALSO ! The hot side does not stay hot with the switch on, only a couple of seconds, you would need to do the green connector thing and then test as it cycles on and off every few seconds. check again as it is not too common to lose the hot side, also check the fusible links by the battery and proper fuses under the dash.

Hope you get it going

Well after a little off roading in my xt i put a hole in my fuel pump so i drove it home. So i put another pump in it and now it isnt getting any power to it. Any ideas? I pu tthe old one back in to check it was the power.

Hi,

I once had a 87 turbo sedan, and this happened. I found out the ground side of the fuel pump circuit is grounded in the engine computer somewhere inside it, I didn't look. I just took the ground side of the plug that goes to the pump and cut it and grounded it to the body near the pump. My hot side was still good. I hate to ask but when you tested for power at the pump plug did you also ground the other leg somewhere at that time, if not, you may not have a good reading, you would need to ground the other leg to see any power from the hot wire, if you test at the pump plug. ALSO ! The hot side does not stay hot with the switch on, only a couple of seconds, you would need to do the green connector thing and then test as it cycles on and off every few seconds. check again as it is not too common to lose the hot side, also check the fusible links by the battery and proper fuses under the dash.

Hope you get it going

Yeah i conected the plug and checkd it and its got power i guess the pumps bad i have one off a loyale im hoping it will work.