Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1989 subaru xt

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 89subiext

89subiext

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • muskegon,mi

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

Well after a little off roading in my xt i put a hole in my fuel pump so i drove it home. So i put another pump in it and now it isnt getting any power to it. Any ideas? I pu tthe old one back in to check it was the power.

#2 zukiru

zukiru

EJ22T

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Oak Grove, AL

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:45 PM

must see pics of your off road XT!

also

http://subaruxt.com.forum

check the relay it's under the dash.

#3 89subiext

89subiext

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • muskegon,mi

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:23 PM

its not really an off road xt i just got it and i plan to lift it. Where is the relay? the link isnt working

Edited by 89subiext, 22 September 2008 - 07:30 PM.

#4 zukiru

zukiru

EJ22T

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Oak Grove, AL

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

it's under the dash... not sure after that. sorry

http://subaruxt.com/forum/

try that... and a search and welcome!

#5 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,087 posts
  • WA

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

Make sure the ground is good.

#6 89subiext

89subiext

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • muskegon,mi

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:00 PM

Make sure the ground is good.

The ground to what? does the pump its self ground to the body? Or is it part of the plug?

#7 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,087 posts
  • WA

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:23 AM

The ground to what? does the pump its self ground to the body? Or is it part of the plug?

Its part of the plug, but run a fresh ground from the pump to the body and see if it runs.
If you connect the green test connector and turn the ign on you will hear the FP cycling.

#8 89subiext

89subiext

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • muskegon,mi

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:47 AM

allright ill try that tomorrow

#9 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,298 posts
  • WV

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:23 AM

Well after a little off roading in my xt i put a hole in my fuel pump so i drove it home. So i put another pump in it and now it isnt getting any power to it. .

what did you replace the fuel pump with? a subaru or aftermarket pump? new or used? maybe the new pump isn't compatible or not working?

do what rob mentioned first - plug the green test connector in first in the trunk by the ECU. with that plugged in and key on (but engine OFF), the pump will cycle on every second like rob said.

you'll notice in the link drew gave above that there's a subaru XT specific forum, you'll want to join us over there when you get a chance!

i have the pieces to lift my XT6 2" and will doing it this fall. from what i've seen lifting 2" is about max for reliable axle life. SJR or Scott in Bellingham makes lift kits for the EA82 (which is what your XT is), you can look for him on the board here and read through all the EA82 lift stuff. like mentioned already TONS of information on here about lifting your car. just keep in mind yours is an EA82 vehicle as you read through the stuff. you'll notice EA81, EA82, EJ = yours is EA82.

#10 joostvdw

joostvdw

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • Holland

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:04 AM

Isn't everything a switched ground on these cars? So grounding the pump directly onto the chassis (and effectively bypass the relay) will make it run forever?

#11 89subiext

89subiext

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • muskegon,mi

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:08 AM

Ok i pluggeg the green connector in i heard the relay but no pump. any ideas?

#12 zukiru

zukiru

EJ22T

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Oak Grove, AL

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

I'd ground the pump to the body and see if it works that way.

then you know if you have a bad hot or a bad ground.
next step would be to re-run which ever wire isn't working!

#13 89subiext

89subiext

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • muskegon,mi

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:32 PM

Well i used a test light and neither wire to the pump has power.

#14 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,087 posts
  • WA

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

I think the relay is under the passenger seat (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you can hear the relay working, someone from there to the pump is bad.

#15 89subiext

89subiext

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • muskegon,mi

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:04 PM

im guessing that im just asking for ideas on where it is.

#16 zukiru

zukiru

EJ22T

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Oak Grove, AL

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:51 PM

mine's and 86 so it might not be the same as yours....

but I'll go narrow it own for you right now...

#17 89subiext

89subiext

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • muskegon,mi

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:53 PM

well i have the pump of a 85 fwd auto were parting out so it should be the same.

#18 zukiru

zukiru

EJ22T

• Members
  • 1,229 posts
  • Oak Grove, AL

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:58 PM

center of the dash behind the radio on my 86...
hard to get to. I could feel it clicking there but couldn't quite see it.

#19 89subiext

89subiext

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • muskegon,mi

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:01 PM

Mine clicks too i just have no power to the pump.

#20 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,087 posts
  • WA

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

Have you checked the fuses?
If not, check them all, it may be attached to another circuit.

#21 ruparts

ruparts

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • dallas, tx.

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:04 PM

Hi,
I once had a 87 turbo sedan, and this happened. I found out the ground side of the fuel pump circuit is grounded in the engine computer somewhere inside it, I didn't look. I just took the ground side of the plug that goes to the pump and cut it and grounded it to the body near the pump. My hot side was still good. I hate to ask but when you tested for power at the pump plug did you also ground the other leg somewhere at that time, if not, you may not have a good reading, you would need to ground the other leg to see any power from the hot wire, if you test at the pump plug. ALSO ! The hot side does not stay hot with the switch on, only a couple of seconds, you would need to do the green connector thing and then test as it cycles on and off every few seconds. check again as it is not too common to lose the hot side, also check the fusible links by the battery and proper fuses under the dash.
Hope you get it going

Well after a little off roading in my xt i put a hole in my fuel pump so i drove it home. So i put another pump in it and now it isnt getting any power to it. Any ideas? I pu tthe old one back in to check it was the power.

#22 89subiext

89subiext

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • muskegon,mi

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:11 PM

Hi,
I once had a 87 turbo sedan, and this happened. I found out the ground side of the fuel pump circuit is grounded in the engine computer somewhere inside it, I didn't look. I just took the ground side of the plug that goes to the pump and cut it and grounded it to the body near the pump. My hot side was still good. I hate to ask but when you tested for power at the pump plug did you also ground the other leg somewhere at that time, if not, you may not have a good reading, you would need to ground the other leg to see any power from the hot wire, if you test at the pump plug. ALSO ! The hot side does not stay hot with the switch on, only a couple of seconds, you would need to do the green connector thing and then test as it cycles on and off every few seconds. check again as it is not too common to lose the hot side, also check the fusible links by the battery and proper fuses under the dash.
Hope you get it going

Yeah i conected the plug and checkd it and its got power i guess the pumps bad i have one off a loyale im hoping it will work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users