Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Legacy777! Hey! Hey! Look! (now with poorly posted pics!)

I got my Bug running! Holy Crap! Sweet!

VGR3 over at legacycentral put his thumb on it...no ecu power while cranking. Of course, these are the bullsh_t obvious problems that always kick me in the nuts. Anyway, I had my mom in there holding a rigged power wire, in case it burst into flames or something. It started almost immediately and idled, a little crappy, but hey, not bad for something with all its vacuum lines off, no coolant, and no alternator.

This thing is going to be so sick, man, sh_t, I'm getting lightheaded.

Thanks for your help, Legacy777, and thanks everyone I've hassled as far as getting parts and stuff. I appreciate it.

P.S. maybe this car will make it to some future events.

Cool!!

Glad you got it working. Yeah acc. power and true switched are definitely two different things that can throw ya for a loop.

I had a similar issue with my alarm. The "professionals" wired the starter kill up to the acc power lead rather then the switched lead. So guess what, acc. power got cut when you tried to start the car, so the relay was no longer energized, and the car started fine. Needless to say I corrected it :)

Snot, that has to be the biggest sleeper of all time! What an original idea! What did you use for an engine to trans adapter assuming you used the german trans? How did you reverse rotation assuming you used a subie trans? Answer only when you got the time, man. When do we get pictures?

Damn, it feels good.

I can't take credit for the idea, cuz kennedy engineering makes adapters for about 100 different enngines to go on vw transmissions. The rest is up to you. They market this adapter to go on a vanagon, but it will work in a type one with a different flywheel.

I haven't seen any other sube-powered vw's (except for an ea-82 me and my roomate did), so it is at least uncommon. And my idea from the start was to make it a cal-look sleeper. I even have a vw-derived "dual quiet-pack" exhaust grafted to the ej22. And I expected it to be a lot louder, but the thing is QUIET! Man, I'm gonna tear up the honda boys with this sh_t!

I always find it interesting the combinations of car/powerplants that are out there. I have minor automechanical knowledge, and no garage, and no money, so those endeavours are far off for me at this time, but kudos to snotrocket!

There was a guy that went to my high school (I don't want to remeber how long ago that was) who put a chevy small block 305 into his Chevette! Needless to say, it was a unorthodox combination that turned heads.

Good luck with your project man!

Chris

Ha ha , you said chevette!

My friend Mike has a chevette that is lowered waaay down, little 13 in wheels, and a datsun/nissan ka24 engine. Little bastard holds it's own at the local 1/8th mile strip.

I'm getting off topic on a thread I started.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by snotrocket

I got my Bug running! Holy Crap! Sweet!

VGR3 over at legacycentral put his thumb on it...no ecu power while cranking. Of course, these are the bullsh_t obvious problems that always kick me in the nuts. Anyway, I had my mom in there holding a rigged power wire, in case it burst into flames or something. It started almost immediately and idled, a little crappy, but hey, not bad for something with all its vacuum lines off, no coolant, and no alternator.

This thing is going to be so sick, man, sh_t, I'm getting lightheaded.

Thanks for your help, Legacy777, and thanks everyone I've hassled as far as getting parts and stuff. I appreciate it.

P.S. maybe this car will make it to some future events.

Can we get a picture of this monster (especially one of the engine compartment)?

Originally posted by snotrocket

I haven't seen any other sube-powered vw's (except for an ea-82 me and my roomate did), so it is at least uncommon... Man, I'm gonna tear up the honda boys with this sh_t!

I saw a EJ22 powered Bug racer on Ebay a few months ago. It was sweet as hell, but the guy wanted about 7 grand or higher for it, I can't remember. All I can remember is that it definately looked the part of a sleeper! It had some 8 spoked mags on it, and was a bright red. The only thing that gave it away was the louvered hood for the radiator :-p Good luck in smoking those FWD Mexican Ferrari's :D

Behold my homemade exhaust system! Marvel in its cheapness!

Everything, except getting some ball joints put in, and the paint, was done by me.

I'm gonna put these on later, I'll have to have the drums and rotors redrilled, but I've already finished a narrowed front beam suspension.

post-25-136027587013_thumb.jpg

Um, lets see...

Subaru: 2.2 liters, 130? hp, don't know torque.

1974 vw: 1.6l, 60 (that's generous)hp, maybe 85 on last engine.

Torque unknown. Last motor ran out of steam at 5,500rpm.

This is gonna be SO less crappy.

Engines weight's are fairly similar. Sube accessories (cooling system, especially) adds a significant amount of weight. Not that it matters.

The sticker on the door says 1835lbs. I guess figure in 200 lbs for all the extra schizz and um...15.65 lbs per hp. Then add 200 more for me and it's 17.19 lbs per hp.

I guess that's good. I don't really know.