Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions about buying a 92 loyale

onsight

Hi everyone, I've being doing my research here for a while, first time post.

I am eyeing on a 92 loyale with 5spd. I am going to see it tonight, the owner asks for 700 or obo.

just called him, seems the car leaks oil a bit (not sure where, have to go take a look myself), and radiator has just been replaced. other than that, seems like a OK car.

so, the question is:

What should I look for when I get to see the car, especially relate to leak and overheating problems. EA82 is new to me, links pointing to pictures will be really useful, too.

Thanks. hope I can get the loyale I want and join the family.

:)

depending where you are in the country, rust might be an issue. and not just cosmetic rust, get down on the ground and make sure it's structurally sound.

the oil leak isn't really anything to worry about, pretty hard to keep an EA82 from leaking. usually the valve covers are the first place to leak, but unless meticulously maintained, they'll seep a bit from everywhere.

that's about all I can think of for now...

Places to look for oil leaks:

Cam covers

Front seal ( hidden behind timing belt covers)

Cam seals (ditto)

Oil oump seal (ditto)

Oil pan gasket

Most of these are pretty easy to fix.

New rad could be because of overheating problems, which took out head gaskets. Look for oily stuff in the coolant, steam in the exhaust (when thoroughly warmed up), coolant smell in the exhaust.

Places to look for oil leaks:

Cam covers

Front seal ( hidden behind timing belt covers)

Cam seals (ditto)

Oil oump seal (ditto)

Oil pan gasket

Most of these are pretty easy to fix.

New rad could be because of overheating problems, which took out head gaskets. Look for oily stuff in the coolant, steam in the exhaust (when thoroughly warmed up), coolant smell in the exhaust.

that's what I figure, too.

Will test drive help detecting overheating problem? if so, usually how long do I need to drive it (like on freeway) to bring up any effect.

And is there any gauge I should keep my eye on while test driving?

These warm up fast. If the HG is bad, it can show up at the wierdest times, in stop and go traffic, stopped at a light, or at WOT up a hill.

Look for the temperature gauge fluctuating. If it is nice and stable, and about 1/4 - 1/3, it is working right. It might rise slowly if you run at WOT up hill for awhile, or try to see how fast the car will go, but the gauge shouldn't move fast once it is warmed up.

Look for the level in the rad, too.