Ultimate Subaru Message Board

more about plugs

I got a wild hair and changed my plugs to the NGK V power in my 92 Loyale aka: Subafly. Anyhow, they seem to suck. My power went down even more than when Subaru designed the engine. as did my gas mileage. I put in my Bosch 2 point plugs, and my car is happy. Any ideas of whether or not to use a hotter grade plug ? I have 148K, no oil burning, healthy engine. I did notice the electrodes were whitish colored though. Whats that about??:clap: Update: I did check the plug gap, set it at 43, the upper end of what the manual said. They may work really well. but I already noticed Iwas getting about 40 miles less out of a tank of gas, oh, they're the v-power plugs.

hmm thats wierd, i always noticed a decent difference using the ngk vpower plugs... my ole junky yard hatch had a set of those put in.. ands gettin 28mpg in town..

i never had any luck with bosch plugs.. in fact thats what the car had in it when i bought it running on 3 cylinders, missing in others..

Did you gap your plugs?

Which NGK's did you put in?

Perhaps, if you put the right ones in and gapped them correctly, you got a bad plug. Bosch +2's are gimmicks - the spark will only go to the closest prong. Plus, your system was not designed to fire platinum plugs (they have a higher resistance than copper plugs), so your coil and wires will not last as long.

i use the platinum plugs. i noticed a difference between the generic plugs that were in it when i bought it.

i hear all the time "NGK this, and NGK that" i can't vouch for the NGKs, but my platinums work just fine.

also, it makes no difference which plugs you have with the "V". they don't spark at the same time. i'm sure we all know tht one though.

when i get paid on the 15th i'm gonna get a coil and ome fatty wires. if the NGK's aren't too expensive i might pick up a set.

i think i'm gonna replac the PCV too. it a soob pcv but i had a smoking right turn awhile back. couldn't hurt.

This is kind of a lame eternal spark plug debate, but what the heck. I used the NGK v-power plugs, and gapped them to 42, which is what my manual said to use (between 39 and 43 I think). I went through a tank of gas and noticed that I got 40 miles to the tank less than with my Bosch's. I wasn't pleased with the NGK's at all. Maybe they're great plugs, but my car seems to like the German ones better. Go figure.

Where did you buy the plugs at? It really makes a diff, the superstores end up with old stock and not the best of the batch. Thats why they can sell them so cheap. Buy your plugs from an auto store. You are the first one I have ever heard of having probs with NGK.

Rob