Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Rubicon.

TheSubaruJunkie

Got the truck running on Sunday. Been workin the bugs out all week.

Rented a truck & a trailer from work today, and will be leaving bright and early tomorrow morning. Took Friday off so I can have a three day weekend and my co-worker and I will be on the Rubicon all weekend :banana:

First trip up there, and first time wheelin since Oct '07

Be back with Pix & Video

It kicked my rump roast!! WOW, that trail is NUTS. Seriously. I took the bypass to most of the difficult stuff, but even the bypasses were not without challenge.

Good news was both Toyotas made it in and out without any critical damage. Per the GPS we traveled 6.8 miles each way, so thats almost 14miles of pure granite mayhem.

The only pix I have right now are from my camera, so most of them are of my buddies truck. I have a few of mine, but when I get his pictures I will have a ton more.

Here are a few, the rest can be viewed here: http://photos.bydemons.com/v/mytruck/rubicon/

DSC01388.jpg

DSC01391.jpg

DSC01402.jpg

DSC01409.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

DSC01415.jpg

DSC01417.jpg

DSC01422.jpg

DSC01420.jpg

DSC01423.jpg

More Pix:

DSC01431.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01442.jpg

DSC01452.jpg

DSC01454.jpg

I should be getting my buddies pictures tomorrow so there will be more pix of my truck. I took the camcorder, but didnt get much footage at all. Most of the tricky stuff we dont have pictures cause we both were too busy navigating the trail. If i wasnt driving, i was spotting him... and if he wasnt driving, he was spotting me.

Yeah. This trail is definatly not Subaru passable. And I know Ken, Eric, and them say they did it.. but I tell you, i had doubts before... and now after traveling it, i have even more doubts. But thats not an argument Im willing to get into. This trail is beautiful and it passes some of the most scenic places Ive ever been to.

I'd still like to see it, how many years has it been? Ive only seen one screenshot of your video.

I searched high and low for the plaque you guys have a picture of, and it wasn't on any section we were on either. Its possible its on the Wentworth side of the trail, we put in at Loon Lake & wheeled to Buck Island and back.

Next time I want to go in from Wentworth. I hear its alot easier :lol:

Yup, we got the trucks and trailers from work. For a grand total of $0.00 for a weekend rental :) Only cost $70 in gas, but was well worth the piece of mind. There's no way my truck would have drove home with the driveshaft bent as bad as it is.

Fordyce is no joke. I hear it makes the Rubicon look like a forest service road. Im hoping to have the truck ready for Fordyce this time next year, but i am going to take it slow. Gears and lockers are fine for the Rubicon, but fordyce you need a winch... and ALOT of spare parts.

Fordyce is no joke. I hear it makes the Rubicon look like a forest service road. Im hoping to have the truck ready for Fordyce this time next year, but i am going to take it slow. Gears and lockers are fine for the Rubicon, but fordyce you need a winch... and ALOT of spare parts.

well i already have spare rear axles, a winch, i should have spare inner shafts and at least one birf... chromo output shaft, fully rebuilt hub to hub on both axles. along with various other parts... we'll see i've got to get her on the trail here first... then i'll have to find a trailer... i ain't driving the toyota all the way down there and expect to actually drive back...

Yeah im not going to risk it until i have an extra birf, axle shafts & driveshaft.

well... do you have the '85 and older rear housing?? i have 2 spare housings and sets of rear axle shafts andqw drums along with a complete rear end(gotta keep that though)... granted the spares have surface rust and need cleaned up... if i ever make it down i'm sure i could bring one or two.

i haven't opened the front end yet. but eric gets one of those birfs if they are good. but i'll be buying longs shortly. so any of the short vids done yet? :grin:

The video's were near useless. Guess thats what I get for letting my buddies girlfriend record.

I can put them up i guess, but im alittle disapointed in their quality.

And on the spare parts, i have a lead on a '83 Toy, needs a headgasket and the guy wants $100. If i had a place to park it, i would have all the spare parts I could ever need. Just can't have a parts truck at my house :(

I was planning on keeping the axles, tranny, transfercase, maybe the engine and sending the rest to scrap steel.

but again, I have nowhere to store it... i would give it to you for nothing but you'd have to figure out how to get it up to you.

hmmm... does it have a clear title? if i could get my truck running it would only cost 300 dollars to drive down for the weekend... i'm sure i could convince the g/f to go spend a day in california and split gas... hmmm... but that'd be at least a month away. cab bed and frame can't weigh much over a 1/2 ton and would probably work on my little trailer... hmm...

I have no clue about the title or anything. Its through a company i do business with at work. I mentioned to the guy on the phone how bad my back was after the rubicon run... and we started talkin about toyota's, then he mentioned he had a '83 in his backyard that needed a headgasket and would let it go for $100.

I havent talked to him since. I dont want to get his hopes up if I cant find a place to store it.

And, your S-10 isnt a 1/2 ton pickup :P

I have no clue about the title or anything. Its through a company i do business with at work. I mentioned to the guy on the phone how bad my back was after the rubicon run... and we started talkin about toyota's, then he mentioned he had a '83 in his backyard that needed a headgasket and would let it go for $100.

I havent talked to him since. I dont want to get his hopes up if I cant find a place to store it.

And, your S-10 isnt a 1/2 ton pickup :P

the half ton designation of a truck doesn't mean it can only carry a 1/2 ton within it's towing capacity. actually it was a ton at 2k lbs at an "optimum" towing capacity. the suzuki samurai could tow a of a half ton and did up and over snoqualmie pass twice. i don't think i'd be worried about a vehicle with an extremely longer wheelbase, just shy of 4 times the horsepower and well over 4 times the torque... :-p and payload for the bed of the truck is just over half a ton right around 1300lbs...

Edited by Rooinater

Do me a favor and read through this: http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm

that's all real general and common information that i've previously learned. i already know my hitch rating which is 6000lbs, the trailer will be a 7500 GVW, i'll only put approxmately 10% on the tounge (within the acceptable range of the hitch), i'll use weight distribution bars to help distribute the weight, trailer brakes to help stop with the added weight, yada, yada... but it still says nothing that my truck CANNOT tow within it's towing capacity. the hitch is rated for more than the vehicle should tow. 1k lbs for trailer, approx 3k for the yota loaded, which puts me at 4k, well under the towing capacity of the vehicle. i've been around towing since i was little, payload for the bed, trailer towing capacity are different. the bed's payload is approximately 1300lbs, the trailer towing capacity sits around 5500lbs.

my little trailer has a one ton rated axle... so it'll carry about 2/3's of a yota, but the trailer bed length is a little short and narrow.

Edited by Rooinater