Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 OB door adjusting and timing belt

Does anyone know if I can adjust the front door positions in my 96 Legacy OB? my passenger door doesn't fit exactly right. it takes a lot more effort to close it all the way than the driver side door, and there is a bit of wind noise on the highway, even after wiping the window stripping with silicone lube. I bought the car about a month ago, and my theory is that the door got a good bump somewhere along the line that pushed it out of whack with the frame. there doesn't appear to me any actual damage to the door itself. It just seems like it's a 16th of an inch out of line. The Carfax report didn't show any wrecks, and the previous owner said the car had a clean history. My Hanes manual is at home (which is quite a ways from my school) so I won't be able to get at that for a couple weeks. Any ideas?

As for the timing belt... I didn't think to ask the previous owner if she had changed the timing belt. The car has just over 90k miles on it, so that is a significant concern for me at the moment. After consulting my Hanes book, i decided that it would be more practical for me to pay to have someone check than to try to get the cover off myself since it would involve a lot of work to get it off. Unfortunately, I can get ahold of the last owner, so does anyone have any ideas on how to find out of there's a new belt? My local Subaru dealer said they wouldn't be able to get any information on my car and that I should try to contact the original dealer to see if the work had been done there. Any suggestions for this problem?

Thanks in advance!

-Collin

If you can't get hold of the previous owner, call the Sub dealers near where the previous owner lived on the off chance that the work was done by a Sub dealer.

Take the car to a body shop, they will be able to tell pretty quickly if the car was "customized by CRASH". They can spot a repaint and will be able to tell you what would need to be done to align the door. Plead poverty and they may tell you how to do it yourself.