Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oil pressuge

Yep - that's about normal for a used EA81. Sounds like it's got over 100k - to keep the OP higher - use a good brand of 20w/50. I like castrol - it seems to flow nice at low temps....

I have seen new EA81's (rebuilt from CCR) where the OP is at 50 at idle, and pegged while driving! And that's with 10w/30. After they break in, the bottom end gets sloppy (although for some reason, you hardly ever will hear any noises frorm this...), and lets the oil squirt out without reaching the top end - thus the lower OP reading...

GD

hey GD, do you have an aftermarket gauge on yours? if so whats your pressure when to just start it up in the morning? and if anybody else is using 20W/50 with a AM gauge with cold temps what your pressuge? and what's too high for these engines?

I have a 90 wagon with 150,000 on it. Have had it for 3 years. Since I bought it the stock gauge just barely reads above 0 with fresh 20W50 when it's up to temperature. When it's up to temperature at 3500 RPM it barely reads 40. Engine is still running fine (although I suspect there is more pressure than the stock gauge is reading). I wouldn't worry about it.

forgot to mention my junkyard hatch has 199k (soon to be 200k will get a pic) as far as i know she's all original, i put 10w40 in it when i changed the oil.. its got a lower end knock when ya first start it after sitting all night.. but that stops in less than 5 seconds and she purrs like a kitten.. oil was black in 15 min again after changing it.. so that leads me to believe it was hardly ever changed before i got it.. gotta change it again soon..

oil pressure while cold is about 75psi. even at idle...

as she warms up it'll drop to below 25 at idle and drivin down the road at 2500 rpm's its right at 50psi..

according to my FSM thats within spec for oil pressure on the EA81 engines..

i'm not worried about the initial startup knock, cause my 78' ford does the same thing and its got a high performance everything 429 big block.. that has about 20k on the motor.. and (Junky) runs too good to worry about it..