Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Too much trans oil

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Frag_*

Guest_Frag_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2003 - 07:44 AM

I just did an trans oil replacement (manual) on my car and since I was at the cottage and the ground was not perfectley level I think the old oil did'nt drain completely.
I put in 3.5 liters of trans oil like the manual says but the level is about 3/8 of an inch higher than FULL. I estimate the excess at around 1/2 of a liter.
How sensitive is the man trans to overfilling ? I would'nt want my trans seals to go.
Should I remove some oil asap or just live with it?

#2 Guest_Legacy777_*

Guest_Legacy777_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2003 - 12:02 PM

MT's use splash lubrication. So I think about the only thing you'd have problems with would be foaming or cavitation, but I don't know if that's a big issue with MT's.

You probably should drain a little bit of the oil.

#3 Guest_spagemurray_*

Guest_spagemurray_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2003 - 06:27 PM

Overfull is not good. The oil expands when hot and it has to go somewhere and not good for the seals. I'd drain some ASAP if it was mine.

#4 Guest_Frag_*

Guest_Frag_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2003 - 07:44 AM

Bought a small rotary pump that fits an electric drill and drained about 1/2 liter.
I feel more at ease.
Thanks for your inputs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users