Ultimate Subaru Message Board

would there be any compatability issues between a 92 legacy 4eat and a 93 impreza 4eat? i got a tranny for the impreza, the guy wanted it gone pronto and it was so cheap i didn't bother waiting to check. was $80 but it has 180k, kinda better than a surely toasted 231k i guess, just needs to last till the brat's done then i can do it up right. i know the electrical connectors are the same and the inhibitor switch looks the same, but i'm mostly worried about the diff ratios, i can't figure out how to tell what either is. i already instaled it (that was far too many hours of hell...have yet to get the atf out of my hair! i hate a/t's :mad: wish i could drop an awd 5mt in there!) so i know it bolts up and all. engine is still out for maint so i haven't tried driving to see what breaks.

impreza is a 93 l wagon, no visible marks on rear diff - just a finned al cover. tranny #'d 594730 and TZ102ZX3AA-GI on the two stickers by the starter hole.

legacy was a 92 l wagon, no rear diff reference available. tranny #'d 402453 and TZ102ZA2AA-MH.

can anyone tell me if they have the same diff ratios?

auto's are really tricky. even if someone here thought they knew i would guess they'd still be hesitant to say "for sure this and that...". this happens quite often...people want to know the final drive ratio of their trans and they rarely get a solid answer here. i think you're going the right direction by asking Subaru to look up the part number.

impreza's and legacy's vary quite a bit (wheel sizes, EJ18, EJ22, weight, etc), so there's a chance they differ. but there's only two options - 3.9 and 4.11 so there's a chance they'll work too!?!?

your best bet is to try and determine the ratio yourself. you can see the front diff teeth through the drain hole. you could conceivably mark them with a dab of paint and try and count rotations.

the final fix is to just swap in a matching rear diff.

so you could just install the trans and if it's binding, swap in a matching diff from the same car.

yeah, snowman suggested changing out the rear diff too. i just didn't really want to spend that much more time/money on something with 231k.

really though, i've got a couple hundred into rebuilding the front knuckles/suspension and i'm putting new lifetime waranty axles on the front, swapped over the brand new tires off the legacy before the wreckers took it, with a fp door the body would be nice (naturally there's zero rust :-p only thing ca's good for) and down the road maybe i could swap the 2.2 from that legacy into there - might be worth goin the whole 9 to come out with a reliable, comfortable impreza. i guess it'd be kinda dumb not to at this point. that color bugs the snot outta me though, i've never thought twice about a red car before.

i don't know... i'm still working to get that atf out of my hair. greasy feeling's gone but the smell of ridiculously burnt atf remains, stuff was straight wrong. what a thing to wake up to.

auto's are really tricky. even if someone here thought they knew i would guess they'd still be hesitant to say "for sure this and that...". this happens quite often...people want to know the final drive ratio of their trans and they rarely get a solid answer here. i think you're going the right direction by asking Subaru to look up the part number.

gary's right, very hesitant. but having said that, i have seen no evidence of a 3.9 in an auto legacy, manuals only. all auto legacys up thru 95MY have a 4.11.

when you search for 93 impreza differentials at car-part.com, they give you 90 - 94 legacy, loyale, and impreza 3.9 ratio. they do not specify auto vs. manual. because of the lighter car and the 1.8L engine in the impreza and loyale, my guess would be that your does not mathc the legacy trans.

impreza 93 l wagon, TZ102ZX3AA (94 as well)

legacy 92 l wagon, TZ102ZA2AA

the TZ102 is the same, this is the trans type they used it until 98 or 99.

the double AA on the end is the same, in legacy this means leg "L", CA = GT, BA = outback. so my guess is it means the equivilant in imprezas, i don't even know what that would be. i do know that at least some impreza outback sports had the BA on the end.

the X3 and A2 are the issue. when they started making the 4.44 final drive for the 2.5L cars the A went to a 2, so if there is a final drive difference this could be the indicator.

typically the 3rd to last character progressed upward most model years. one year the legacy outback was a ABA the next year it was a CBA and then a DBA.

i searched car-part.com and :

TZ102ZA3DA = 95 impreza 2.2L auto w/ 4.11 ratio. i think this means no match.

TZ102ZA1AA = 94 leg auto non-turbo. they return 92 - 94 all together.

TZ102ZA1AA = 91 leg auto non-turbo, 90 - 91 were lumped together. one of these may be wrong.

i couldn't find a legacy .......TZ102ZA2AA or a part number for early 90s leg auto w/turbo. i guess your leg trans could be a turbo??????

i hope this helps.

Edited by johnceggleston

i talked to a tech at the dealership this morning...

fsm indicates 92 N/A 2.2 Legacy L wagons have 4.11 gears, 92 Legacy Turbo 2.2 wagons have 3.90 gears and 93 1.8 Imreza L wagons have 4.11 gears.

also, he said that one could in theory separate the front section of the trans and swap it onto a compatible model, but if the purpose is to have the right gear ratio then he recommends just swapping the diff. said any 4eat front diff before certain changes (98 or 99) should install in any 4eat before same changes.

as a side note, i drove my hatch (picking up parts) and two of the techs spent a half hour looking it over and repeating that they'd never seen one so old.:lol: i mentioned my brat and their eyes lit up. they both said they'd never seen one.

i have seen no evidence of a 3.9 in an auto legacy, manuals only. all auto legacys up thru 95MY have a 4.11.

My 92 auto legacy had 3.9s in it. I think it's just that one year, but not sure.

Basically, it sounds like the only way to be sure is to use some method of physical verification, or if Subaru can look it up and tell you for sure.

• 5 months later...