Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swampers

michael appel

• 1 month later...

Ohhh I was drooling over a set of the 27" Swamper SSR's the other day (actually they measure 27.5") But the $$$$$....$$$$$$$...$$$$$$$$.

Prohibited a purchase.

I took some measurements. I could clear them with major body mods. And being the last few times out I really trashed my sheetmetal. (almost took off a fender, smashed the hatch, tore part of the passenger side door off, ect. ect. ect.) it would be no prob. :) (I'm finding a few fun trails)

it is nice that they make the tsl swampers in a 28x14 and cheap.

Yeah I 'm tying to stick to not going over 27"

I watch too many clutches get burned up from 28"+

And I don't do the revving the engine, slipping the clutch kind of wheeling anyway.

I try to keep it just off idle and creep around. Little gas when needed.

I hate that "just blast it!" style of wheeling. (sometimes ya gotta do it but it take the fun out of it)

I like to use a more tactical, skillfull approach to get up a trail. Not just mashing the gas waiting for an axle to break.

Really wish we had more gearing options for Soobs. (other than major mods like transfercases)

So I wanna keep a cap on tire size. Sometimes I'm tempted to throw the 13"s back on for more challenge and more low end.

Yeah I 'm tying to stick to not going over 27"

I watch too many clutches get burned up from 28"+

And I don't do the revving the engine, slipping the clutch kind of wheeling anyway.

I try to keep it just off idle and creep around. Little gas when needed.

I hate that "just blast it!" style of wheeling. (sometimes ya gotta do it but it take the fun out of it)

I like to use a more tactical, skillfull approach to get up a trail. Not just mashing the gas waiting for an axle to break.

Really wish we had more gearing options for Soobs. (other than major mods like transfercases)

So I wanna keep a cap on tire size. Sometimes I'm tempted to throw the 13"s back on for more challenge and more low end.

even 27's are too big, hence why i have a divorced tcase and 4.11 gears, to correct the problematic hammer down style of wheeling. but none the less, it's good to know that interco hasn't discontinued the 14" rim on the tsl or ssr.

even 27's are too big, hence why i have a divorced tcase and 4.11 gears, to correct the problematic hammer down style of wheeling. but none the less, it's good to know that interco hasn't discontinued the 14" rim on the tsl or ssr.

Yeah I am running about 25 1/2" mud n snows now. They do alright but I want more grip in the gooier stuff and a little bit tougher carcass. Cooper actually makes an all-terrain in my size. (who knew still a sub 27" all-terrain out there?! :) ) Not as good in the goo as a swamper, but better than what I got and I can keep what I have left of my low end as it's still not too bad. Most of the time I can roll around at about 1,100 rpm in first low and just give it a little blip when it starts to lug and it'll just hop up over stuff.

bigo1966: here ya go. :)

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=10&g=1

Funny though, thay ACTUALLY measure smaller than the 27" swamper SSR.

28" x 14" TSL = 27.4"

27" x 14" SSR = 27.5"

Or theres the TSL Radial that fits 14" which is 28.7"

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=14&g=1

Edited by TeamCF

I dont think swampers make a 28x14, is it an atv tire?

yes in the tsl model they make a 28" tire for a 14" rim, and the ssr model is a 27" tire for a 14" rim. without regearing the ssr is a fairly decent tire, the sidewalls are a little weaker, but about as good as any radials side walls.

• 3 weeks later...