Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SURVEY New rear glass rubber weatherstrips???

There seems to be a growing need for rear glass weatherstrips for Gen 1 sedans and coupes. (Both stage 1 and 2. Which I believe are nearly identical). It is my belief that we better get these reproduced while we can!

We have a company that can do this, but the initial cost is 5K for tooling , plus the cost of the gasket! If we had 50 buyers we could sell then for about $140 or so. That's comparable to what Subaru sold them for. How many people and how many gaskets would you be interested in? (That's the question).

Absent a good rear weathestrip, these cars are going to be wet and rusty.

Please post your thoughts, suggestions and if you would be interested in a group purchase. If you have other options, please post.

Original part # 665002700

Thanks, Todd

Edited by SUBARU3

• The best GEN 1 rear glass seal is the VW beetle. (mid-late 70s)
  • The glass in the 80s wagons is much bigger than the gen 1 wagons.
  • The 80s cars rear glass rubber may fit, but I have never tried. I would imagine that it is also larger than the Gen 1s.
  • Yes, we need the door stuff too. This is for the rear glass seal though.

Edited by SUBARU3

• 1 month later...

I would certainly be interested in a group buy - Gen 1 coupe x 2.

There is an Australian eBay seller that sells rubber for Gen I models.

Phil's Rotary's

You do have to scroll down the page a bit. I orginally ordered the GFT front windscreen seal hoping it would suit a Gen 1 coupe but it was actually for 1979 - 84 models so I had it replaced with the 1400-1600 rubber. This seal is identical to the windsceen seal I purchased last year through the USMB. (Note the seller also lists front and rear for FF-1)

I did ask the seller plenty of questions, unfortunately he did not know anything about them. Basically gets the seals from a 'supplier' and sells them.

The point of this? Somewhere out there (Taiwan?) is a company that is making Gen 1 seals. Surely it would be easy for them to make the coupe rear rubber too?

• 3 weeks later...

The 1972 -1977 Bug works fine. I believe others do too like the 40's and 50's.

I use the CAL (California look) with no reveal. It's just solid black.

http://shop.westcoastmetric.com/index.php

West Coast Metric has them.

These things are available in lots of VW stores. I wish Subaru parts were as easy to come by!

Todd

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you guys can get me samples of the material, I can probably find something appropriate to make new gaskets for windows and doors. I need to see what size shape the OEM gaskets are. It would probably be best if someone nearby had a car that I could roll in the shop and poke around on. The shop I work at does lots of custom work on hot rods and such. I'm pretty sure we can handle some Subaru work.

• 6 months later...

:banana:

There seems to be a growing need for rear glass weatherstrips for Gen 1 sedans and coupes. (Both stage 1 and 2. Which I believe are nearly identical). It is my belief that we better get these reproduced while we can!

We have a company that can do this, but the initial cost is 5K for tooling , plus the cost of the gasket! If we had 50 buyers we could sell then for about $140 or so. That's comparable to what Subaru sold them for. How many people and how many gaskets would you be interested in? (That's the question).

Absent a good rear weathestrip, these cars are going to be wet and rusty.

Please post your thoughts, suggestions and if you would be interested in a group purchase. If you have other options, please post.

Original part # 665002700

Thanks, Todd

I'm going to contac soft seal here in oh. Mon,about the cost involved in making the mold for the back glass seal for the gen 1&2 brats, let me know if you,re interested? I believe the best bet would maintain ownership of the mold!

Fyi,i also have a fix if no seal is available,but it involves the cost of a new back glass!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all if you care to search ebay australia under subaru leone you will find listed winshield rubbers for FF1,leone coupes etc most models selling for $89.00 au 1968 models onwards.

Cheers steve

Hi all if you care to search ebay australia under subaru leone you will find listed winshield rubbers for FF1,leone coupes etc most models selling for $89.00 au 1968 models onwards.

Cheers steve

Steve, We already have the best windshield gaskets availible.

This post here pertains to weatherstripping.

Cheers!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...